Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Page Numbering Over Files PLUS Index/Tables

Hi All,

A friend is writing a book where each chapter is its own file. He's using a MAC.

He suggests that when he sets the PAGE field via the Header/Footer toolbar to be the first page # for, say, Chap 9 that the page number may not stick. That is, when he re-opens the file that the first page number has changed or been set back to 1 but it doesn't happen consistently.

So I sent him some suggestions that I've seen in various places about using a bookmark in the preceding chapter/file and doing an INCLUDETEXT in the Chap 9 file. The Chap 9 page numbers "look" ok bcs the footer adds the bookmark's value (say 899) to the relative page for Chap 9 using the PAGE field. So the first page # in the footer of Chap 9 is correctly 900.

The problem is, as I'm guessing but I haven't verified it, is that he is indexing various words/phrases in each file; he also has content tables for tables and figures. So the page number associated with these will be the value of the PAGE field, not the addition to it of the previous chapter's bookmark.

If that is the case, then we need another workaround. If not, then we're ok.

I thought of one workaround that might work but would need help with this: when Chap 8 is closed, he can have a macro that saves the last page # of Chap 8 with some well known file name; when Chap 9 is opened, an Open macro can read the file and set the PAGE field to that (although I don't know why that wouldn't be susceptible to the same bugs he's running into). I'm not sure I can do the Open macro but at least there is an Open event for which I can write a macro. At least in 2003, I did NOT see any Close event, just a Close method, so I'm not even sure how to approach this part of it.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the he using Word from Office 2008 or 2011 on his Mac? An issue I see is that each file is a document unto itself and the page numbering does start anew in each one.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure. What would be the difference in solving this issue?

I'm guessing the page numbering starts anew. While you can fake out the page #s that appear with the "bookmark-addition" trick, it looks like the Index, Figures, Tables and even ToC can't be faked out. Not sure if my OPEN macro would do the trick but I'd think it should.