Star Lounger
    Thanks

External USB-3.0 Drive partition conundrum

I made the mistake of placing Dell's Backup and Recovery (DBR) on my NEW Toshiba 1TB external drive. The DELL DBR process created a partition labeled "\M drive DBR_Boot". The "Toshiba J:" contained File History folder and some misc. files.

I tried to "undo" this situation by
    1) Making a USB flash memory card bakup of my important files.
    2) Using Dell's DBR to create Factory Backup DVDs.
    3) Turning off File History
    3) Deleted all of the files on J: and M:
    4) Cleared the recycle bin.
    5) Formatted both partitions using Win8.1's Disk Management app.

RESULT:
    The drive "\M DBR"_Boot that was listed in ThisPC: is now gone.
    Toshiba Ext. J: has these "properties" 999,455,817 bytes free and 218,988 bytes used

Win8.1's Disk Management app displays:
    931 GB NTFS healthy (primary) partition.
    504MB space labeled "unallocated".

When I right click the Primary partition, my choices are a) change drive letter/path. b) Format c) Extend volume d) Shrink volume e) Delete volume f) Properties g) Help.

When I right click the unallocated space, my choices are a) Properties, b) Help and c) New Simple Volume.

There is no option to remove the unallocated space.

By right clicking in Disk Management on the Primary partition, I have an option to DELETE VOLUME, but NO option to delete the unallocated space. Also, when I turned on File History again, the notice in yellow says
    "File History doesn't recognize this drive" and Toshiba J: has an "unknown error".

I would like to be able to delete the unallocated space and also use this drive for File History.

Thank you for reading this long post and any insight.
    Paul
    Last edited by PointFive; 2014-12-01 at 15:25. Reason: icons replaced text

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PointFive View Post
    ..."File History doesn't recognize this drive" and Toshiba J: has an "unknown error"...
    Seems to be something seriously wrong with the partition. Best to delete it, then create a new NTFS partition to use all available space.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-12-01)

Thanks
    Probably Acronis Disk Director 12 can be used to fix this problem. I've used it to eliminate hidden partitions, reSize cdrive. Process is a little involved.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

Two free tools you can use are:
    Partition Wizard Mini-Tool Home Edition
    EaseUS Partition Master Free

You can make USB boot media for both if necessary.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-12-01)

Thanks
    I am thinking what needs to happen is expand the used partition to include the empty space. This can be done from windows as was noted.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-12-02)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your help.
    I downloaded the Partition Wizard and expanded the partition 200mb into the unused space.
    I changed the drive letter.
    I formatted the partition.
    BTW, the partition has been formatted as NTFS.
    I re-booted and saved files and the drive seems to be working correctly.
    I then tried to again get File History to recognize the drive.
    File History sees the external Toshiba USB 3.0 drive, but it says "unknown error", try another drive.
    However, File History was working on this drive before Dell's Bakup & Recovery created a separate partition (since removed) and made other unknown changes to this USB drive.
    1) Does File History work with an external NTFS drive or should it be a Fat32?
    2) There continue to be 208mb of "used space" which I can't see, don't know how to remove. Might these files, left over
    from the prior use with either File History or Dell's DBR be corrupting this drives use with File History?
    Thanks for any help.
    Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Success: I did what any 8 year old would do when something didn't work. I disconnected the "refreshed" Toshiba drive. I reconnected it without going through the "Safe to remove hardware routine". When I again received the "unknown error" message, I tried "select another drive". Then tried select a network drive (even though I don't have one). I turned File History Off, then On. Finally, "it" actually changed the drive letter of my one and only external drive to a new drive letter, Huh?. Then it asked if I wanted "it" to copy previous files that File History had saved. I said yes. That was a mistake! because it went back to "unknown error", but I persisted and went back to this bizarre routine above and when I got to the same question again, I said "NO", don't re-copy file history files.
    And File History is working again!!! What a wild ride. Does anyone have a clue what happened?
    Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I am thinking what needs to happen is expand the used partition to include the empty space. This can be done from windows as was noted.
    Doesn't the empty space have to be NTFS formatted either prior or after annexation?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-12-05)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roland: From what I have done and observed, the answer to your question is no. The Primary was NTFS. I used the Partition Wizard to expand this Primary space by about 1/2 of the unallocated space (aka empty). The empty space is still not formatted, and now File History is working again.

What I have learned about the real problem:
    1) There was NOTHING wrong with formatting or physical structure of the USB 3.0 External Drive, but windows assigned "unknown error" to it.
    2) The problem in this case (caused by DELL's DBR program's creation of a partition was the Windows USB link to the External Drive had become corrupted.
    3) USB drive corruption can be corrected using the Device Manager, a rt-clk on Disk Drives and then Uninstall. Unplug the USB cable, wait 1 minute and re-connect.
    Paul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PointFive For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2014-12-06)