2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Apps slow to load with new computer win 8.1

I've just set up a new PC for my husband with Win 8.1, and the apps load very slow, especially gmail, which stalls at about 80% load. The only anti-malware I am using is the Windows Defender that came with the OS. All apps and OS have been updated via web. I am using Chrome as the browser. I have installed no extensions. I unchecked all unnecessary start-up apps (Adobe Reader, games etc), and uninstalled the preloaded McAfee app. The computer has a 1.4 GHz AMD processor, 4Gb RAM, and non-touch screen.
    Any ideas on how to speed things up? Thank you

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restore default settings

I have re-set Chrome with 'Restore settings to their original defaults' and it has helped a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by maryhertager View Post
    I've just set up a new PC for my husband with Win 8.1, and the apps load very slow, especially gmail, which stalls at about 80% load. The only anti-malware I am using is the Windows Defender that came with the OS. All apps and OS have been updated via web. I am using Chrome as the browser. I have installed no extensions. I unchecked all unnecessary start-up apps (Adobe Reader, games etc), and uninstalled the preloaded McAfee app. The computer has a 1.4 GHz AMD processor, 4Gb RAM, and non-touch screen.
    Any ideas on how to speed things up? Thank you

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you using a browser to access gmail or a program?
    If it is a new PC the search indexer may be running quite a bit. Even though it is a background task it may take some time to complete.
    Have you checked Task Manager to see if you can identify what may be consuming resources?

Joe

Thanks
    Check your taskmanager's tally for running processes too.
    You might also want to run through the services section to look for things to disable.

I can't believe you can actually still get a 1.4GHz processor in a new machine.
    It sounds like a refurb of an older machine with a new OS.

1.4GHz isn't exactly fast, it sounds very outdated, hardware-wise.
    With a processor that slow you've got to be very carefull what you install and have running.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.