Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't boot from Win7 System Repair Disc

Hi,

I have an Acer TravelMate P253 running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with all recent Updates.

About 1 month ago, I created an image of my C: Drive on an external USB Drive, using Windows 7 own built in facility and also created a System Repair Disc when the Image creation process completed. The process reported that Image and CD were created successfully.

Today, I attempted to restore my C: Drive by booting from the previously created CD, but although the CD drive is selected as the first option for booting in the BIOS settings, my laptop refuses to boot from the CD. I tried creating another CD but the result was just the same. I know that my CD drive is OK because I can see all the folders and files on the CD when using Windows Explorer.

I don't have a Windows 7 CD because the OS came already installed (The Laptop was supplied with both Windows 8 and Windows 7 and I opted to install Windows 7)

I have a Hiren's Boot CD and inserted this in my CD drive and rebooted - that worked OK so it would appear that bootable CDs are being recognized, but for some strange reason, the CDs created by the Windows 7 facility, are not being recognized.

I read somewhere about an alternative boot system 'UEFI' ? but know nothing about this.... Could this be causing the problem ?

Any help with this very strange problem would be very much appreciated

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willum08 View Post
    ...I read somewhere about an alternative boot system 'UEFI' ? but know nothing about this.... Could this be causing the problem ?...
    UEFI = Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

UEFI has a "secure boot" feature which can, and usually does, prevent booting from CD (or DVD).

You probably need to go into the UEFI and disable "secure boot". You might also have to adjust "legacy boot" settings and/or adjust "boot device order" so the notebook attempts to boot from the CD/DVD drive before the HDD.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Coochin,
    Thanks for your reply...

I have checked the settings in the 'BIOS' screen and they are as follows :

Boot Mode : [Legacy BIOS]
    Secure Boot : Disabled

Boot Priority
    1. Atapi CDROM
    2. HDD
    3. USB FDD
    4. Network Boot
    5. USB HDD
    6. USB CDROM

I have not changed any of these settings. Looking at the configuration, I would expect that the system should boot from a CD which was created using the Windows 7 built-in procedure. It seems strange that it will not boot from this CD, but will boot from the Hiren's CD.

Thanks
    It does indeed seem strange that it boots from the Hiren CD but not the Win7 repair CD.

I have used Windows repair CD many times when working on Vista/Win7 computers. Normally it is just a matter of inserting the CD in the drive, then pressing the space bar or some other key at the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" prompt. However, more than once the computer didn't have a CD/DVD drive or the drive was faulty, when I would either use my USB CD/DVD drive or a UDB thumbdrive.

You could create a bootable USB thumbdrive from the Win7 repair CD using Rufus/. To boot from thumbdrive you would probably have to change "Boot Priority" so "USB HDD" is first.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can download and save a Win 7 SP1 Pro 64 bit ISO from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...-2#post-124821 and use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...-download-tool to create a bootable USB and/or DVD and see if it will boot up with either of those.

You will need a 4GB USB with nothing else on it and you can get to the Recovery Environment when you select Repair your Computer, but it won't include the factory reset option.

Was the Hiren CD created on the same computer ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin and Sudo15 - Your comments and suggestions are truly appreciated.....

The Hiren's CD was created on my previous laptop which used Win 7 Home Premium SP1 32 bit.

Like you - Coochin - I've used the Win 7 Boot CD and an external USB Hard Disc to recover a System Image, many times before on my previous 32 bit laptop and other Win 7 32 bit PCs, and never experienced any problems.

Just out of interest, I tried booting my 64 bit laptop, from my previously created Win7 32 bit CD and everything appeared to proceed as normal! But of course, I was eventually informed that there was a 32 bit/64 bit conflict and I was unable to proceed any further....
    So, it would seem that the problem lies in the 'format' and creation of the 64 bit CD.....

I'll try out your suggestions in a couple of days (I'll be away from home) and report back later.

Kind Regards

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Run MS's Fixit then create the bootable Win 7 ISO or Repair disk to see if it will boot then, but I think you're looking at a new disk drive.

http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/c...drive_problems

I had a similar problem with this laptop where a bootable ISO disk created on here wouldn't boot it up, but would work on another laptop even though it could read the files on it and that took a replacement drive to sort that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the procedure suggested by Sudo15 - Downloaded the ISO file and burned a DVD using the ' MS Download Tool', on my existing Win 7 Pro Laptop. Everything went fine and the DVD burned successfully. I then tried booting with the new DVD and it worked perfectly. Choosing the 'Repair' option rather than the 'Install Win7' option, I eventually got to the familiar screen, where the option to recover from a previously saved Image on an External drive, was available..... Which is exactly where I wanted to be in the first place.....

So, the conclusions I have reached :
    1. The CD/DVD drive on my Laptop is in good working condition.
    2. There seems to be a problem with the creation of a rescue 'Bootable' CD, using Win 7 Pro 64 Bit own built in facility.....

However, now that I have the means to access the option to reload an Image, it gets over my immediate problem.

I wonder if it would be worth contacting Microsoft about the problem ???

Thanks for all your comments.....

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It also proves that your DVDs are fine as well - wonder if a sfc /scannow would find anything to repair ?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if it would be worth contacting Microsoft about the problem ???
    Microsoft is pretty much done with Windows 7. Their attitude would be somewhere between indifference and scorn.

Kind of like their attitude towards user suggestions for Windows 8 before they released it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    Microsoft is pretty much done with Windows 7. Their attitude would be somewhere between indifference and scorn.

Kind of like their attitude towards user suggestions for Windows 8 before they released it.
    Some of their Win 7 Fixits have been pulled as well - guess that's what they meant by no longer supporting Win 7 but seems to be somewhat premature as that isn't supposed to occur until 13 Jan 2015.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did a sfc /scannow... No errors or violations reported....

Thanks again for all comments

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Some of their Win 7 Fixits have been pulled as well - guess that's what they meant by no longer supporting Win 7 but seems to be somewhat premature as that isn't supposed to occur until 13 Jan 2015.
    I am hoping for a Service Pack 2 with a complete roll-up, but that probably won't happen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Microsoft's definition of the various support levels can be found here: http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

support.PNG

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, but this is what I get when I click on a Google MS link to reset Windows Update Components http://support.microsoft.com/Error?a...ath=/kb/971058 and the same occurs when clicking on sub links in other forum posts for the same Fixit.

This is another for the Windows Update Agent, but both of these apply to more than Win 7 http://support.microsoft.com/Error?a...ath=/kb/949104

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast