Lounger
    Thanks

How to get Windows to "forget" a wireless network?

I installed a new router, which unlike the previous one, uses the same security password for both the 2.4gh and 5gh bands. I want to use the same SSIDs as the old router had.

So one of my computers, which I want to use on the 5gh band, won't connect because, of course, the password it has stored is now wrong. I would think that I could find some way to have it request the new password, but it won't--it just reports that it can't connect. (My wife's Kindle has the same issue.)

Isn't their somewhere in Windows where I can get it to "forget" the old 5gh band network and password? I know I can get around this simply by changing the SSID of the 5gh band; then the computer will see it as a new network and ask for the password. (But I'd rather not do it that way.)
    Last edited by rchris; 2014-12-02 at 17:43.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Chris,

See Post #2 here. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Chris,

See Post #2 here. HTH
    That is exactly what I'm looking for, but I forgot to mention I'm on Win 8.1. Win 8.1 doesn't show a "Manage Wireless Networks" option. It does have a "Change adapter settings," option which would allow me to disconnect or rename a network, but not to delete it. I haven't yet played around with those options...maybe one will work. I was looking for the options you highlighted for Windows 7.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    (Charms, Settings, Change) PC settings, Network, Connections, Manage known networks, Choose a network to forget.

How to Delete or Forget Wireless Network Profiles in Windows 8.1

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

rchris (2014-12-02)

Thanks
    Chris,

Here's the MS Take on it! HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

rchris (2014-12-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both very much. I just wasn't looking in the right places...still trying to conquer Windows 8!

Thanks
    Chris,

Aren't we all!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Not me guv, I've conquered it - but I'm still looking for some of the different ways of doing things e.g. searching as I found in another thread. 8 rocks

Thanks
    I did not conquer Windows 8; I replaced it with Windows 7 Pro. I'm glad I did!
    W7's Network & Sharing Center is so much more informative than W8's.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The MS answer for simply updating a user ID and password (work requires it very month for the public network) in a routinely used wifi is "Use the command prompt"? Who dreams this stuff up???? What the heck am I missing? The command prompt and a notepad file of commands is easier????

Argggggg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiseiji View Post
    The MS answer for simply updating a user ID and password (work requires it very month for the public network) in a routinely used wifi is "Use the command prompt"? Who dreams this stuff up???? What the heck am I missing? The command prompt and a notepad file of commands is easier????

Argggggg
    It sounds like your workplace tries to make it easy for you by providing ID and password in a file each month, but use of a command prompt to do so is not a Microsoft requirement. I'm sure you could type in the details instead of using the command prompt and file of commands if you wished.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you want to clean everything out and start again, you can factory reset the router then switch it off.

Go into the registry and navigate - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/NetworkList/Profiles

Click on the name Profiles then go File - Export - give it a name - Profiles ? and that will back that up as a .reg file

To restore then go File - Import and go to where it's saved, click on it then Open and that will restore the folder to as it was.

Go back and expand Profiles and clicking on each key will display your SSIDs of which you right click on each and select Delete.

Click on Signatures/Unmanaged and you'll see the same, although one could be for Network/home.gateway but you delete those as well.

You could leave the latter if you wanted but those keys will be recreated when you switch the router back on and set it up as for out of the box.