5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Please help me select a good portable antivirus program

Yesterday I started working on a seriously infected computer Win7 Enterprise 32-bit
    Their Verizon Internet Security Suite was essentially disabled as real-time scanning was turned on and had been for a long time
    I was able to run ESET Online Scanner in Safe Mode and was doing a great job but I don't know whether or not there is a portable version

I found the following article
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fiv...-at-all-times/
    ClamWin Portable
    Sophos Anti Rootkit Portable
    Emsisoft Free Emergency Toolkit
    Vipre Rescue
    Spybot Search and Destroy Portable

I'd appreciate your recommendations even if they aren't included in that article

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's a couple more in http://features.en.softonic.com/7-fr...le-antiviruses but I'd leave Comodo alone though.

I ran CCE on here once and it snagged a file which I gave it the go ahead to delete and a later Google ID'd it as a legit system file - needed to use a system image to restore.

NPE can also go over the top as well when in its default Rootkit mode as it's very intrusive, but clicking on Advanced and selecting the Standard Scan is okay.

There's a couple of others not so far listed in http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=115 but I'm not familiar with to recommend one way or the other.

Probably best to create a system image yourself first if you want to try them out.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-03 at 10:50.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-12-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reminder to create a system image
    I'm going to work with Search and Destroy Portable for now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    cmptrgy,

Have you tried Windows Defender Offline? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    A number of times I have used Windows Defender Offline but was not very impressed.

Have found AVG Rescue CD very effective, but best to use the USB thumbdrive method.

Boot from AVG Rescue CD / thumbdrive; update definitions; scan/remove infections. Great when Windows startup fails or Desktop is locked due to infections.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    A number of times I have used Windows Defender Offline but was not very impressed.
    In what way were you not impressed? I've never used Defender Offline but a number of people have recommended it. So why don't you think highly of it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    In what way were you not impressed? I've never used Defender Offline but a number of people have recommended it. So why don't you think highly of it?
    Did not find WD Offline very effective as compared to AVG Rescue CD.

Your experience might vary.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    In what way were you not impressed?...
    Please don't mis-understand or mis-interpret what I have said. I am not saying that Windows Defender Offline is ineffective; far from that, it is useful in certain circumstances.

But on systems that have serious virus infections I have found the "AVG Rescue CD" approach to be more successful.

No single AV or AS program is sufficient; I haven't seen any such yet that were totally effective; great if you are running a good AV/Firewall program such as Norton 360, etc., but sad for you if you think that is enough. In reality you need to run regular scans with known-good anti-malware programs as well as whatever you might think to be a good AS/ISS solution.

Thanks
    Thanks Coochin, that's fair enough.