Thread: updates

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

updates

Why so many updates the other day i had 18 in one day ? I do them everyday. I had no updates one day, the next day 18 updates. Thanks, Chuck I got Windows 8.1

Thanks
    Samo with Windows 7. Microsoft generates anywhere from 1-2 updates to 20+ updates. I take it you set WU to only notify you, you choose which ones to download & install? I did that, at least, I can control the flow somewhat.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The little computer experience I have is terrible. I click install, all of them. I realize some are for other computers and thay aren't nessessary for me. Is the ones I need tricky to install. Sorry for dumb questions. Thanks, Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
    The little computer experience I have is terrible. I click install, all of them. I realize some are for other computers and thay aren't nessessary for me. Is the ones I need tricky to install. Sorry for dumb questions. Thanks, Chuck
    Windows Update won't offer you any updates that aren't applicable for your system. I have Windows Update set for notify only, but I typically download and install all that are offered.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    There are no dumb questions, ever.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My updates are set to automatic. Is this ok? Thanks, Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Updates are solved, many Thanks to RolandJS. Thanks, Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck, many on the 'Net indicate a better setting is: notify, let me decide which ones to download & install
    [not the exact wording]
    However, many others on the 'Net indicate automatic is just fine.
    Like Ford and Chevy and foreign cars -- take your pick.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You, Roland that's makes sense. Your exactly right, whatever is best for you may not work for someone else. Iam a Chevy car man, but I prefer Toyota trucks. Thanks, Chuck

Thanks
    The customers I have attended rarely change the default Windows Update setting "Install Updates Automatically (recommended)".

Until about 2007 or 2008 I occasionally had to sort out problems caused by faulty WU patches, but I cannot remember seeing that since then (and certainly not on any of my own systems).

Whenever I do see WU problems it is almost always that certain updates fail to install due to corruption of WU components.

See: How do I reset Windows Update components?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin for the great info, I saved the Microsoft link you give me. I had 1 failed update about 3 months ago. I went to you tube to get any info I could on updates. No doubt it was tough to fix for someone like me with very little computer skills. It fixed the problem. But in case it ever happens again, I will use your method, it seem a lot easier, for a rookie computer man like me hahahaha. Thanks, Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Chuck,

For the current commercially available and supported versions of Windows and other Microsoft products on the second Tuesday of each month (AKA, patch Tuesday) Microsoft releases fixes. Because of the broad range of products involved the number of patches can vary greatly from month to month. These patches used to be primarily security fixes. Seems like in the past year, it has become a fairly regular occurrence to see non-security fixes too.

Microsoft is acclimating customers to fixes, enhancements, & new features released not just on a regular cadence but also whenever they are available or needed. They are moving their consumer products for all platforms to respond to the speeds that people are used to seeing for web & phone apps.

Joe