5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chromebooks take on cheap Windows laptops

TOP STORY

Chromebooks take on cheap Windows laptops

By Woody Leonhard

With the tide of yule rapidly approaching, I've been repeatedly asked about the relative merits of cheap Windows laptops, tablets and Chromebooks.

Choosing among the three platforms isn't easy; depending on your needs, any of one of them might be right.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/chromebooks-take-on-cheap-windows-laptops (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    These product reviews are all very well, they have some useful general information, but a lot doesn't really apply to those of us outside the US. Most of the products are not available, or are very different pricing.
    It would be appreciated if reviews could be geared towards generic differences which apply to models available internationally, or comparisons of operating systems and techniques which everybody can use.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Goldilocks thing.
    My big desktop: too big and clunky.
    My smartphone: too small and weak
    My chromebook: just right.
    It also helps that I got last year's model at closeout for $125.

Thanks
    I had the same problem, when I lived in Thailand (2000 - 2013). Now that I'm back in the US, things have changed a lot!

The basic problem is that localizing the info is incredibly difficult. Often the vendors themselves (or their PR people) don't know which countries have what products. Some products get announced, but they don't show up on store shelves for months. And the prices can be all over the place.

More and more, products are launching outside the US, and may never make it to the US.

For UK products and availability, Neowin probably has the most accurate info. But even they get tripped up, sometime.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gzuckier View Post
    Goldilocks thing.
    My big desktop: too big and clunky.
    My smartphone: too small and weak
    My chromebook: just right.
    It also helps that I got last year's model at closeout for $125.
    I know what you mean there. This boots up so much faster then my laptop. I've got the Acer Chromebook 11 for $169. Works like a dream.
    Last edited by Kala; 2014-12-07 at 11:28.