Thanks

USB and Func KB-460 Keyboard

A Func KB-460 USB keyboard is not being recognized as a keyboard. It shows up in device manager as a USB2.0 Hub, rather than a keyboard. The software that came with the device has been installed as well as the driver for it. The manufacturer has nothing helpful to say in terms of resolving the problem other than to return its product to the vendor. The keyboard is not defective as it is properly recognized and works on a different computer. My mb is an Intel DX58SO; cpu is an Intel i7-940; 6gb ram. This is the only device I have tried to install that has not been properly recognized and registered on this system. OS is Win7Ult x64.
    I am willing to consider just about any recommendation or suggestion as to how to get this issue resolved.
    Thank you,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dw-itech View Post
    ...The keyboard is not defective as it is properly recognized and works on a different computer...
    I often see this problem with USB devices on customers' computers. If the drivers for the USB device are not installed correctly when it is connected the first time Windows is often unable to correct the problem automatically.

Run the following commands in an elevated command prompt (Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools, right-click "Command Prompt" then click "Run as Administrator"):

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    (enter)

START DEVMGMT.MSC
    (enter)

A "Device Manager" window will open, click "Show Hidden Devices" in the View menu.

You can now uninstall any invalid/disconnected devices (right-click > uninstall).

WARNING: exercise caution, particularly with removal of sound, network, and non-plug'n'play devices; devices in these categories might be shown dimmed as if not present but are nevertheless needed for the parent device to function correctly.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

dw-itech (2014-12-04)

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice! Is there any way to remove numerous invalid/disconnected devices in one operation? I am not sure that any references to any device that has ever been connected have been removed. There were at least 12 references to an Apple mobile device that is not currently connected and upwards of 75 references (grayed out) to mass storage devices.

Thanks
    ...Is there any way to remove numerous invalid/disconnected devices in one operation?...
    No, AFAIK it is a one-at-a-time operation.

Once you have uninstalled any invalid/disconnected devices restart Windows. If any device was uninstalled that is required then Windows will try to re-install it.

Sometimes Windows will prompt for a driver. The prompt should have an option to "install software from Windows Update if it is not found on my computer". It is generally safe to select that option.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

dw-itech (2014-12-04)

Thanks
    After following your suggestion to "uninstall" all unnecessary, disconnected devices, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling the Func software and driver I plugged the keyboard back in only to get the same results. I have enclosed a screenshot showing the salient points...although the keyboard is recognized as such by device manager, windows thinks it is a USB2.0 hub and apparently does not associate the keyboard driver with the keyboard. The keyboard does have 2 USB ports built into it and is supposed to light up (backlight) when properly recognized and installed. As it is now it does not light up and doesn't work as a keyboard either! Any other ideas?

Func460.JPG

Thanks
    When I googled "VID_046D&PID_C52B&REV_1201&MI_00" found this: DriverGuide download page.

You will have to extract the contents of the zip file to a folder. If there is no "setup.exe" you can right-click on the device then click "Update driver" and browse to the folder.

Might work.

Thanks
    Might not also! The link you sent leads to downloading DV6605us.zip! It is the entire software package for an HP Pavilion DV6605 Entertainment computer (circa 2009).
    Thanks
    Last edited by dw-itech; 2014-12-04 at 21:54.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The 2 USB ports on the keyboard do make up a USB Hub so that part is working if you can plug in a USB Thumb/Flash drive and read it or write to it, just another type of diagnostic.

Thanks
    Might not also! The link you sent leads to downloading DV6605us.zip! It is the entire software package for an HP Pavilion DV6605 Entertainment computer (circa 2009).
    Thanks
    Googling hardware IDs doesn't always work.

According to the Func KB-460 Webpage "KB-460 is completely plug n play ready; installation is only needed to re-assign the buttons and adjust the key configuration to suit your needs and your gameplay style".

Suggestions:

Obvious, but have you tried connecting it to a different USB port?

There should be 5v power to the USB ports (used by the keyboard's backlight). If you plug in another USB device that needs power (e.g.: 2.5in USB HDD), does it work?

Install the Intel chipset drivers for your DX58SO motherboard: Intel Chipset Device Software for Intel Desktop Boards with 5 Series Chipset

I noticed on the Intel website there are 27 BIOS updates listed. The latest is v5600 7/29/2013.

Thanks
    @dw-itech - If you ever need to un-install multiple USB devices (and check how USB devices are connecting, e.g. port, speed, etc.) then try Nir Sofer's USBDeview. As the screenshot shows, you can select as many devices as you want and un-install them all the same time.

usbdeview.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Thank you! Windows reports that it cannot find a driver for a USB2.0 Hub! Go figure! The ports on the keyboard do not work! In fact the keyboard appears to be totally without voltage after windows has failed to find an appropriate driver.

Thanks
    Yes, I used a voltage meter to check the USB ports and they all show 5v power. I have attached as many USB hdd as there are ports with no noticeable problems. By manually installing the drivers for the kb I have been able to get the kb to light up and continue to work long enough to log in. PnP then determines that drivers for a "Gaming Keyboard" and a "USB2.0 Hub are required. The kb continues to work until PnP has finally decided that neither of the necessary drivers are available. The drivers that are installed cease to work at that point as well as the kb and device manager then prints out a "Device cannot be started (Code 10)." Code 10 means that the device cannot start due to any number of unspecified causes! Thanks for that nugget of wisdom, Microsoft Tech Support! The Func support team is equally as helpful and their idea of "Plug n Play" ready apparently only goes just that far, as the kb is in fact recognized and would undoubtedly work perfectly well as a USB2.0 hub if only Windows could find the correct driver. The kb works perfectly well until PnP determines that it doesn't have the correct driver, even though it does!
    Updating the chipset drivers may turn things around, however the last BIOS update I tried caused the system to crash entirely (i.e. not start). Intel's tech support's response to that was "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" I was eventually able to revert to the previous BIOS and haven't even considered trying that again. There were at that time only about 8-10 available BIOS upgrade versions! (Each one apparently addressing a different specific problem?)
    Do you have any suggestions as to disabling the PnP automatic driver installation utility... "wizard"? The kb works fine until that bit of helpful code mis-identifies the device and reports that it can't be started!

Thanks
    Thanks, I have used Nir Sofer's utilities frequently and will see if this one can shed any light on what isn't happening!

Thanks
    ...the last BIOS update I tried caused the system to crash entirely (i.e. not start). Intel's tech support's response to that was "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" I was eventually able to revert to the previous BIOS and haven't even considered trying that again. There were at that time only about 8-10 available BIOS upgrade versions! (Each one apparently addressing a different specific problem?)...
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" is not an adequate response. Fact that later BIOS upgrades are available from their website is sufficient to demonstrate that there are faults in earlier BIOS code, otherwise why the subsequent upgrades?

Generally speaking (ruling out interference from AV software or malware) you should be able to upgrade your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version without any problem.