Lounger
    Thanks

Thoughts on driver updates

I use a program, Advanced System Care, that has notified me that most if not all my drivers need updating. This makes sense since I had my system built for me a 2 years ago. I spoke with the shop who built my computer and it really comes down to me whether to update or not. My system is running fine, no problems. They directed me to the ASUS site and found my mother board so if I do decide to update that is where I will get the drivers. I would like your thoughts and opinions on the subject. Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MoBo driver probably worthwhile, perhaps also soundcard driver updates. Others are a crapshoot.

In any event: Primum non nocere. Backup, backup, backup!!!

Zig

Thanks
    My personal policy is to let sleeping dogs lie. Unless I am missing some feature that I'm supposed to be getting from my hardware, or I get occasional hiccups that I'm not supposed to be getting, I don't update any hardware driver. The same goes for BIOS.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And as Zig said, and my signature reads, backup before making any changes.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pop pop View Post
    I use a program, Advanced System Care, that has notified me that most if not all my drivers need updating...
    From what I have seen of "Advanced System Care" on customers' computers it generally causes more problems than it solves. See this thread: Do NOT download a driver update utility.

High-performance systems, such as are used for processing video, AutoCAD design, graphic design, gaming, etc., might benefit from updating drivers on a regular basis.

If the computer is a home or small office PC that is used for Internet, email, office applications, etc., and the PC is running well and without driver-related errors then it is unlikely there will be any real advantage in updating drivers.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Well. if you like Advanced System Care, continue. Just ensure that any suggestions it makes to you concerns only software updates, as given above, hardware suggestions: don't do it if it ain't broke.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for replying. I'm also of the opinion that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Since I'm not having any problems I will leave well enough alone. Thanks again.