3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yet another Win Update problem

My wife has a small Asus notebook which came with Win 8.0, which I hate, loath and detest; the OS, not the machine. Updates on her machine are set to Automatic. Way back in April or May on start up there would be a window that said in effect 'you need to update'. If I clicked on Update it started into downloading a 3GB+ file. A couple of hours later when I looked to see what was happening there was a message, "Couldn't update to Win 8.1. We restored the previous version of Windows." And a cryptic code: 0xC1900101-0x40017

For some months this went away, today she got the same 'time to update' message. Same Downloading message, same failure. So far I've managed to keep this thing running, but this is way beyond my pay scale.

Any suggestions?

David

Thanks
    Try downloading the applicable Win8.1 ISO and set it up on a USB thumbdrive (you might want to download the ISO and set up the thumbdrive using another computer).

See this thread: get Windows 8.1 genuine download
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    That particular error code is for an incompatible driver. See Error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 when installing Windows 8.1 for more information.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you for the information. I turned to Asus, the manufacturer, to see what they had to offer. The first agent thought it was a problem with the Chipset driver and spelled out how to update it. That made a difference, this time the download worked, and the re-installing started, got to 85% or there about, then failed with the same error message. Back to Asus. This time I was told to run Asus Live Update, which I did, it came back with "No updates available". The next suggestion was to reset to factory settings with the recovery partition, and after that I would be offered the update option. In other words wipe out everything, then re-install the driver(s) that were the cause of the problem, then hope that the update, which hasn't worked 3 times, will work fourth time around. Sounds like "more in hope than expectation". And the best case scenario is that I still have days of work setting up the machine. His only other suggestion was to call Microsoft. I will do that, but Asus will not be high on my shopping list any time soon.

But thanks for you input.

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    ...His only other suggestion was to call Microsoft. I will do that...
    When all else fails "pass the buck". But maybe M$ might have some bright idea.

2 suggestions:

*If* the notebook has "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" listed in "Programs and Features" uninstall it and try the update again. I have worked on several customers' Win8 computers that had problems caused by the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" drivers.

Certain AV programs can also cause driver conflicts (often they install "virtual" device drivers). I would uninstall both the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" (if present) and the AV program before trying the update again.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Joe, Coochin, wouldn't Acer [which is what I own] have the same problems from time to time as Asus? Hasn't there always been periodic miss-matches between chipsets and OS updates?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Maybe the upgrade assistant will find the issue:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oad-online-faq

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the responses. After the upgrade assistant found no problems I tried the upgrade again, a sure sign of madness? Probably. I was watching it churn away to see how far it got with the process before failing, it makes watching paint dry seem like a fun thing to do! However, this time it went further than before. All the way through "Getting info", through "Preparing to restart..." To "Restarting" and "Restarting" again. Then came "Getting devices ready". I was hardly able to contain my excitement. Then "Getting ready..." followed by "Applying PC settings" followed by "Restarting." Well I thought I'd cracked it, then came the BSOD. "Your computer ran into a problem. Attempting to recover installation." Then the same BSOD. Then back to "Couldn't update to 8.1..."

Intel Rapid Storage Technology is not installed. Would the AV (Avast paid) have to be uninstalled? Or simply not started?
    I have a legit Win 8.1 CD which I haven't used, but Asus said there'd be "an issue" with activation. Anyone know if that's true?

Asus has given up on the problem. I tried MS but have had other problems to cope with and couldn't hang on long enough to get to chat. This is my wife's laptop and she's getting...well all I'll say is that there is a certain tension around the house. What I'm thinking now is that if I can hang on long enough I'll go straight to Win 10.

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    ...this time it went further than before. All the way through "Getting info", through "Preparing to restart..." To "Restarting" and "Restarting" again. Then came "Getting devices ready". I was hardly able to contain my excitement. Then "Getting ready..." followed by "Applying PC settings" followed by "Restarting." Well I thought I'd cracked it, then came the BSOD...
    Seems clear that the "Getting devices ready" (device drivers) stage succeeded but the BSOD came as Windows was restarting into 8.1.

...Would the AV (Avast paid) have to be uninstalled? Or simply not started?...
    Yes. Before you re-install Avast after the 8.1 upgrade make sure to download the Avast installer (Avast should detect that your Windows has been upgraded to 8.1 and provide the appropriate installer).

...I have a legit Win 8.1 CD which I haven't used, but Asus said there'd be "an issue" with activation. Anyone know if that's true?...
    Depends. I would expect to be able to use a "legit Win8.1" installation DVD (won't be a CD) to upgrade, and avoid the large download from the MS Store. You should not be prompted for activation, as Windows Setup should detect that your existing licence key is legitimate.

...What I'm thinking now is that if I can hang on long enough I'll go straight to Win 10...
    Could be a painful wait.