Thanks

Blocking Windows Defender updates

This summer I finally upgraded from XP to Windows 7; in XP I had my updates set to notify me when they were available, so I could filter the ones I wanted to allow and those I wanted to avoid based on info from these forums. that worked great while I had XP.

Now, with Windows 7, I use Avast! and Malwarebytes for my security - same as with XP - but now I'm getting Windows Defender updates coming in with my Windows Updates, and there's no way I can see to prevent them from 'notifying' me in the Systray with that update icon. I've always been very particular about keeping current with my updates, but since I don't use Defender and there's always a daily update and thus always a Windows Update icon in the Systray, I've gotten pretty lax in the Updates area. I'm used to seeing the update icon appear, and just as used to assuming it's just the daily Defender update that I've been ignoring, and that's a dangerous habit to get into.

So I want to know - is there any way to turn off the Defender updates? I'm guessing that since it's a Microsoft product, the answer is NO. But I want to ask anyway, and hope for a mini-miracle.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djmoore View Post
    ...is there any way to turn off the Defender updates?...
    Turn Defender off, so WU will not prompt to update it.

See: Turn Windows Defender on or off
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Open the Microsoft Security Essentials Window
    Select the Settings tab
    Select Real-time protection in the left pane
    Uncheck Turn on real-time protection in the right pane

MSE.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prescott; 2014-12-04 at 14:00. Reason: Screwed up picture

Thanks
    WD can be turned off just like MSE can be turned off. W8's WD is refurbished MSE. W7 WD & MSE can co-exist, they seem to Venn somewhat.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/