Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reoccurring F1 F2 screen

Why when turning on the pc after a shut down I get a reoccurring F1 F2 screen, from there I do a ctrl-alt-delete, and she'll load up just fine, this doesn't happen on a restart.
    Puzzled?
    The tasks ahead of us, is never so great, as the power behind us.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S t r e t c H View Post
    Why when turning on the pc after a shut down I get a reoccurring F1 F2 screen, from there I do a ctrl-alt-delete, and she'll load up just fine, this doesn't happen on a restart.
    Puzzled?
    Usually caused by dead motherboard battery. If your PC is a desktop computer, the motherboard will have a "CMOS" battery to maintain BIOS/UEFI settings while the PC is powered off.

A dead giveaway is if your time/date settings have reverted to defaults (look at the time/date shown by the clock in the bottom-right of your taskbar). If the time/date shown is wrong then you most likely have a dead motherboard battery.

The battery is usually a 3.0v CR2032 lithium battery which you should be able to buy for a dollar-or-three at your local newsagents or grocery store.

After you fit a new battery you will need to log into your PC's BIOS/UEFI and update the settings, particularly time/date.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

S t r e t c H (2014-12-04)