Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I transfer files from an old Win 7 computer to a new running Win 8.1 Professional

Well, it seems like Microsoft has screwed the Windows user again! Why am I not surprised, after all they gave us Windows 8?

I am in the process of acquiring a new, custom built machine. My old one is 6 years old and is very slow. So I was trying to figure out how to transfer my old "libraries" to the new machine and I thought - "Well I have a Belkin Transfer Cable and the Windows Easy Transfer program - should be a snap. Right?" Wrong! I have just found out that while the cable and the WET program work well for an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8, apparently for some unknown reason, it will not work very well for upgrades from Win 7 to Win 8.1. My question is then what do you do to transfer files from the old Win 7 machine to the new Win 8.1 machine. One solution I found, was to copy the files from the Win 7 machine to an external drive and then copy them from the drive to the new Win 8.1 machine. Talk about time consuming, this wins the prize! I have read that Microsoft wants people to use SkyDrive for this purpose. In my humble opinion this almost seems like a violation of anti-trust regulations. People should not be forced to use a product that they do not wish to use, but we are captive to the OS. I know there are others, Ubuntu, etc., but why should I have to move to another OS just to avoid being caught up in the Microsoft web.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone has done this recently (moving files from a Win 7 to a Win 8.1 system) and has found a more efficient, cost-effective solution than copying to an intermediary and then copying from it to Win 8.1. Any ideas or thought that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2014-12-05 at 21:20.

Thanks
    Are you wanting to transfer user appdata local, locallow & roaming configuration/setup/preferences folders such as Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.? And, or, are you wanting to transfer documents, text files, PDFs, etc.? I have used both TeraCopy and Windows Explorer. Awhile back, I purchased a hardware cable/ezSHARE kit that promised to transfer files from PC 1 to PC 2. It all works, it depends upon just how thorough do you want to be to ensure parallel-copying. And, you're right, some things, some programs are not going to copy well, rather, they and their data folders will have to be created via custom/advanced install first, then maybe folder/files copying can be done.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I obviously didn't provide enough detail as to my requirements - sorry about that. I want to be able to transfer all my "data" files - Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, Power Point presentations, OneNote files, pdf files, zip files, camera manuals (pdfs) and pictures to my new Win 8.1 computer from my old Win 7 computer. I do know that apps such as Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Lightroom, Adobe Reader, Norton Antivirus and others will have to be reinstalled on the new machine. I am unsure what TeraCopy and Windows Explorer have to do with transfer between machines. If this functionality exists in these programs then I am not aware of it. I have used TeraCopy and Windows Explorer to transfer files from one disk drive to another and that is all that I know they are capable of doing. I would appreciate your providing a URL where I could look at the "hardware cable/ezShare" kit that you mentioned. It sounds like that may be what I am looking for and I would like to check it out.

In my previous situation, when I upgraded to my current WIN 7 computer from an older WIN 7 computer, I was transferring files from one Win 7 machine to another. In that case, I simply used a Belkin Transfer Cable that I had and ran the Windows Easy Transfer (WET) on both machines and everything worked very well. Apparently with Windows 8.1 the WET application does not work very well, if at all. It is possible to use it to transfer files to an external hard drive on the old, WIN 7 machine and then attach this hard drive to the new, WIN 8.1 computer and use WET to transfer the files from the hard drive to the new machine. I am hoping that there is something out there that I do not yet know about, that will allow direct computer (WIN 7) to computer (WIN 8.1) transfer without having to first load the files onto a hard drive on the old machine and then upload the files from this hard drive to the new machine. The use of a hard drive as an intermediary seems like an unnecessary and very time consuming step in this process. I would also hope to be able to transfer all the User app data such as Internet Favourites, Photoshop and Lightroom templates and Office templates as well, as they are just "data" when compared to the supporting apps.

I do hope that this clarifies what I am trying to do.

Ron M >>>>>> (Hopefully)
    Last edited by Ron M; 2014-12-06 at 03:14.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    ...I do hope that this clarifies what I am trying to do...
    Sorry mate, but you are "treeing up the wrong bark".

I regularly have to transfer userdata from customers' old computers to their new ones, so have long ago developed effective methods for doing so. Those methods are involved and deeply technical, so I am not inclined to attempt to guide you through them in this context.

You need help from a competent computer technician; such animals do, in fact, exist.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, there are some transfers he can make, however, it will be a list of things to do. After installs, there are some appdata & ProgramData sections that can be copy'd over from computer to computer; I've done this with some programs, certainly not successfully with some other programs.
    Ron M -- http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/385 -- I googled ezSHARE Vantec, among several, I found what appeared to be home link. I got my usb-to-usb cable & software from Altex, Round Rock TX. There is an Altex web site for San Antonio. Load up on patience, patience and more patience. Copying configurations / setups / preferences can be like herding cats, of which I have two, a brother&sister team, 7yrs, they're on Facebook and Twitter [Roland Stoller (RMS) ] -- if you need some humor while you're working.

You might end up like LBJ...
    "...if asked to run for Copy-This, I shall decline. if elected to Copy-This, I shall not serve..."
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you already have the Easy Transfer Cable, you could pay $20 for third-party software which has been tested with the Belkin version and works with Windows 8.1:

Easy Computer Sync still works fine with the Easy Transfer Cable under Windows 8.1, for all editions, and fully supports this transfer cable for transferring data from pc to pc.
    Easy Transfer Cable and Windows 8.1

For your convenience, the following Easy Transfer Cables have been tested with Easy Computer Sync.
    Belkin F5U258, F5U279

Easy Transfer Cable

Bruce

Thanks
    When I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8, my configuration did not allow a direct upgrade; nothing from Windows 7 could be brought along. I used Windows Easy Transfer and a 32GB thumb drive, and got everything I wanted as far as settings and preferrences transferred without errors or omissions.

I must also add, however, that I use multiple HDD's with multiple logical drives/partitions, so the vast majority of my data was not located on my Windows OS drive, and not subject to getting lost in the shuffle. Do you by chance have a separate data partition on your old Windows 7 machine?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    Well, it seems like Microsoft has screwed the Windows user again! Why am I not surprised, after all they gave us Windows 8?

it [Easy Transfer] will not work very well for upgrades from Win 7 to Win 8.1.
    I have read that Microsoft wants people to use SkyDrive for this purpose.
    this almost seems like a violation of anti-trust regulations.
    People should not be forced to use a product that they do not wish to use, but we are captive to the OS.
    but why should I have to move to another OS just to avoid being caught up in the Microsoft web.
    I didn't know that Easy Transfer did not work from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. I have used it from Windows XP, and from Windows 7 to Windows 7. It always did under perform in my opinion. I was disappointed at the things it wouldn't transfer, when it was working. I thought surely they didn't just forget about Easy Transfer when the created the Windows 8.1 upgrade?

But then you mentioned that they wanted people to use SkyDrive for their file transfer. Microsoft is more interested in selling subscriptions to services, than it is in writing software and selling software. And in the case of things like SkyDrive, that most people don't want, they try to find ways to force your hand. At this point, Google is still more evil than Microsoft, but only because they are better at being evil, n9ot because Microsoft has chosen not to go there.

If you do decide to move to another Operating System, Ubuntu would be a bad choice, if you don't want to get sucked into their web, Linux Mint would be a much better choice.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    And in the case of things like SkyDrive, that most people don't want, they try to find ways to force your hand.
    I disagree about most people not wanting it. OneDrive has 250 million users. What's not to like about 40GB of free storage available from any computer, tablet or phone?

Thanks
    RolandJS, BruceR, and bbearren:

Sorry but I see too much of this sort of thing in my daily work. Transferring userdata between computers is a matter fraught with dangers, especially if the Operating Systems have significant differences (such as between Win7 and Win8.1, let alone XP to Win7/8).

It might seem attractive and convenient to simply connect a "transfer cable" or copy the files via a USB drive, but those methods risk serious system errors if not done correctly.

There are methods that can be used to safely copy userdata between operating systems, but those methods are generally beyond the understanding or capability or all but extremely advanced users.

My advice is "don't risk it, get help". A competent computer technician should be able to easily copy the data, and avoid the problems I have alluded to.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I disagree about most people not wanting it. OneDrive has 250 million users. What's not to like about 40GB of free storage available from any computer, tablet or phone?
    Why would I trust "OneDrive" with my precious data? So what if it's free.

Thanks
    Coochin, I just now remembered OP is attempting to perform folder/file transfer between W7 & W8. I have only successfully copied Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird, GChrome, eM Client 6, and limited IE. Trying to transfer Office biggies & other programs may or may not turn out well. Installing and configuring Office & other biggies may be OP's best bet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Microsoft's own numbers say 1.5 billion people use Windows every day, and over 250 million have a OneDrive. By those numbers, 1.25 billion people who use Windows every day don't have a OneDrive.

IMO, 1.25 billion out of 1.5 billion could be considered "most". Or put another way, 83 out of 100 daily Windows users don't have a OneDrive. As for 40GB of storage, not to say that I'm representative of the typical user, but I have 95GB of music on my Music logical drive. I have 21GB of pictures on my Pictures logical drive. I have 38.4GB combined data in Users folders in Windows 7 & Windows 8 (neither of which contain any music or pictures) on my desktop.

Both my ISP and my own web site provide unlimited email storage. I have Outlook configured to leave all email on the server unless I delete it. The vast majority of my collaboration for work is done through email, so I don't have much use at all for cloud storage—got my own cloud.

YMMV
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren - your OneDrive usage is awesome; I'll keep your ideas in mind if I ever go cloud And, your signature has good stuff in it!

Thanks
    For future reference, having a separate partition/logical drive for data, and having the OS configured to store/retrieve data from that separate logical drive makes data transfer from one PC to another rather straightforward and simple, easily accomplished over a home network.

As for settings and preferences, Windows Easy Transfer has handled that for me a number of times quite satisfactorily.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast