Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 scanning photos

I've just bought a Canon Pixma printer/copier/scanner and have some old photo prints I want to scan.

Should I install the Canon software from the included CD (not needed for printing or copying), or is the Windows Fax and Scan App sufficient for my task?

Any/all advice or experience appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Should I install the Canon software from the included CD
    In most cases, in my experience, Proprietary software is not about using the hardware, it is about brand lock-in. It solves no problems, and creates some very hard to fix ones. The worst ones that I have dealt with were HP, although My wife had a Pixma Wi-Fi printer with some really bad software.

Having said that, try the Windows Fax and Scan App, and see if it does what you need it to. If it doesn't, you may have to install the proprietary software, but don't expect it to be very good, and woe be unto you, if you try to switch to a different brand of printer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

Trev (2014-12-07)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have an old, very good, HP scanner that I used to run with the HP bloatware. Now that I have Windows 8.1 I just loaded the TWAIN drivers and use any Windows app to scan / edit / save and it works like a dream, even doing duplex via the page feeder - this never worked under previous Windows incarnations.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Trev (2014-12-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help, good news if the Windows App works..."bloatware" sums up my previous experience of a printer installed with the accompanying CD.

What are the TWAIN drivers all about, Paul, are they essential for my scanning needs?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    ...What are the TWAIN drivers all about...
    Drivers to enable scanning.

If you want to avoid "bloatware" try IrfanView

I have used IrfanView for all my scanning (several different scanner makes/models) since about 2004. Excellent.

But, as for many other imaging programs, you will need to tell IrfanView which scan driver to use. Go to File\Select Scan/TWAIN Source and choose the scan driver for your Canon Pixma.

To run a scan go to File\Acquire/Batch scanning. This will load the Pixma's scanner interface.

Many scanners these days also have a "WIA" driver, but I have found the TWAIN drivers do all I want.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-12-09),Trev (2014-12-08)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    TWAIN is a standard for accessing digital device like scanners and cameras.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    woe be unto you, if you try to switch to a different brand of printer.
    Is it really necessary these days to use a scanner and printer from the same manufacturer? My first printer - back in the days of Win 95 - was from Epsom and the scanner from Mustek - not sure about the spelling - and they worked fine.

Since 2003 I have used Canon printers and scanners, although I don't like the cheap and nasty LiDE 110, which was the only flat bed scanner I could find to work with Win 8.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Is it really necessary these days to use a scanner and printer from the same manufacturer? My first printer - back in the days of Win 95 - was from Epsom and the scanner from Mustek - not sure about the spelling - and they worked fine.

Since 2003 I have used Canon printers and scanners, although I don't like the cheap and nasty LiDE 110, which was the only flat bed scanner I could find to work with Win 8.
    If you try to use the software supplied on the enclosed CD from the manufacturer, it will be difficult to use a different brand of scanner and printer, and I'm pretty sure it's on purpose, but if you use the Windows 7 or Windows 8 software, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Prescott; 2014-12-08 at 09:55. Reason: it to it's

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2014-12-09)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    The ONLY plus that I know about with using a vendor's software is that it will allow you to use all the features and functions of the device. The basic Windows drivers just get the device working and MAY not make all the features available. Unfortunately it is difficult, if not impossible, to tell what features are not available with the basic drivers ahead of time. If you find something missing you could go back and install the vendor software later.

Joe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Trev (2014-12-08)

Thanks
    If you try to use the software supplied on the enclosed CD from the manufacturer...
    Too often the drivers and software on the CD packaged with the printer/scanner are several months old at least. It simply takes time for a manufacturer to obtain supply of the CDs, produce the printer/scanner units, package and ship the units to the various regional importers/distributors, then for the units to make their way onto stores' shelves.

Particularly with the newer Windows versions it is better to look up the unit's model on the manufacturer's support website and download/install the latest drivers and software from there.

In my experience helping customers with their printer/scanners the printer drivers installed by Windows usually work, scanner drivers often don't work, and the customers usually need at least some of the extra software anyway.

...it will be difficult to use a different brand of scanner and printer, and I'm pretty sure it's on purpose...
    Some of my customers have had three-or-more printers/scanners of different brands all working as expected and without any conflicts.

...although I don't like the cheap and nasty LiDE 110, which was the only flat bed scanner I could find to work with Win 8.
    I have a Canon LiDE 60 scanner installed on this PC; it works fine in Win7; when I installed Win10TP (separate HDD) I could not find any software newer than for Win7 for it on Canon's website. However I did manage to get it to work with the Win7 driver.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-12-08 at 19:03. Reason: more info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used the Windows Fax and Scan on a few test prints and it worked fine.Couldn't see any missing features that I can imagine requiring, so will forget the Vendor's software.

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Drivers to enable scanning.

If you want to avoid "bloatware" try IrfanView

I have used IrfanView for all my scanning (several different scanner makes/models) since about 2004. Excellent.

But, as for many other imaging programs, you will need to tell IrfanView which scan driver to use. Go to File\Select Scan/TWAIN Source and choose the scan driver for your Canon Pixma.

To run a scan go to File\Acquire/Batch scanning. This will load the Pixma's scanner interface.

Many scanners these days also have a "WIA" driver, but I have found the TWAIN drivers do all I want.
    I agree fully with the Irfanview recommendation. The only thing I would add to it is that you should also install the Irfanview addins. If you happen to have a picture that is too big to email, the add ins give you the option of doing Save As, then shrinking down the picture, with no noticeable loss in quality.

Thanks
    If you happen to have a picture that is too big to email, the add ins give you the option of doing Save As, then shrinking down the picture, with no noticeable loss in quality.
    You don't need to load the adins to do that. Simply go to Image>Resize/Resample. Resize the image and then do a Copy/Paste or a Save As.

Jerry

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-12-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Trev, I use a simple and easy to use piece of software called FreeKature with my Pixma printer. It has been problem free and I really like it.

You can find it at many free site but here is a link to one:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...eKapture.shtml

Cheers,

Oliver

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Olleym For This Useful Post:

Trev (2014-12-11)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You don't need to load the adins to do that. Simply go to Image>Resize/Resample. Resize the image and then do a Copy/Paste or a Save As.
    Jerry
    True, but the Save for Web option in the File menu is very good and far superior results when you want to decrease the number of colours as well. Decreasing bit depth is a great way of reducing file size, in addition to or instead of resizing -- especially useful when resizing is not an option, e.g. if it would make text too small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast