Thanks

external CD/DVD readers/writers

Guys, although flash USB sticks are great, an external CD/DVD reader/writer [some can even include BluRay player] can be useful. Some printers, scanners, digital cameras, combination fax/scanner/printer etc., come with a CD/DVD install disk. Even Microsoft official Windows often come on...DVDs. The license key is often on the disk, not on the update drivers/software online. I have 'em at home, 'cause a good portion of my library is still on CDs and DVDs.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Guys, although flash USB sticks are great, an external CD/DVD reader/writer [some can even include BluRay player] can be useful. Some printers, scanners, digital cameras, combination fax/scanner/printer etc., come with a CD/DVD install disk. Even Microsoft official Windows often come on...DVDs. The license key is often on the disk, not on the update drivers/software online. I have 'em at home, 'cause a good portion of my library is still on CDs and DVDs.
    A decent (Samsung, ASUS, etc.) USB DVD burner should be less than $50 - a BluRay drive less than $120.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an internal CD/DVD Writer with Lightscribe, which I use to burn and label most of the DVDs that I burn [all that I have burned for at least the last year], but I also have an external USB DVD writer in a box around here somewhere. I'm sure I could find it if I needed it, but I'd much rather just grab one of the USB thumb drives that I've got in the desk drawer just to my right.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    I have an internal CD/DVD Writer with Lightscribe, which I use to burn and label most of the DVDs that I burn [all that I have burned for at least the last year], but I also have an external USB DVD writer in a box around here somewhere. I'm sure I could find it if I needed it, but I'd much rather just grab one of the USB thumb drives that I've got in the desk drawer just to my right.
    Some of my customers often need to travel by air both within and without Australia; they generally use ultrabooks because they are thinner and much lighter than the more traditional laptops. Few ultrabooks have an optical drive, so it suits them to have a USB DVD burner for when they're at home.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.