2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Refurbished: What does it really mean?

We have all probably seen or heard of 'Refurbished' computer hardware these days, and most likely if we take the literal meaning of the word, we figure it has been 'reviewed, repaired, gone-over....etc' by the manufacturer or reseller, and then placed back on the market at a reduced price.

BUT I wonder if this is really the case?

I've purchased a few 'refurbished' items that appear to be brand new items that have never been unpacked from their original condition. I wonder sometimes if this word 'refurbished' is just a 'branding label' applied to some items that they wish to discount and get out of stock,...perhaps to keep the other retailers happy that they are not being undercut in pricing by the manufacturer.

One of the reasons I bring this subject up is my concerns about the operability of the refurbished units? I've often thought that it might be worthwhile to buy a 'refurbished item' as I feel the manufacturer has had a chance to look the item over for a second time?

But if it is just a 'discount marketing tool', then likely the manufacturer has NOT reviewed the item??
    ....and worst than that, they can reduce the warranty period of time offered...
    Last edited by beiland; 2014-12-08 at 09:33.

Thanks
    Basically it means that someone had previously owned it and it was sent back for whatever reason.
    ("for whatever reason" can mean any number of things, from someone who all they did was open the box and send it back,
    to a component that did not work.)
    Manufacturer's typically fix whatever they find wrong with them, then offer a discount for it's resale.

But if it is just a 'discount marketing tool', then likely the manufacturer has NOT reviewed the item??
    I can't see this as being a remarketing tool. There are a great many things that people "send back", all
    too frequently, and for a number of reasons.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-12-08 at 10:44.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Usually when a product with a serial number is sold the information is entered into the store's database and the return of it means it cannot be sold as new again, whether opened or not. I've not had a problem buying refurbished if the product still carries the same warranty as if new.

Thanks
    "Refurbished" can also mean it was returned at the end of a lease period. Many businesses will lease computers, then return them at the end of the lease for a newer model. The refurbishing usually means wiping the HDD, installing a fresh OS & drivers, then reselling the previously leased computer. This approach frequently is used by Dell and other businesses that supply computers to larger companies.

An advantage of the "refurbished" models are that they frequently come with a retail version of the OS (disc included) instead of an OEM version of the OS. Also no bloatware. Microsoft even "accredits" some of these refurbishing companies, so you know you are getting a genuine version of their Windows OS.

All of my desktops for the last 10 years or so have been "refurbished" models. Never have had an issue with any of them -- and saved a lot of money over the same "new" models.

Jim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    imho

refurb means they got it used from somewhere else
    does not mean the company that had it ever used it but it could have been beat to death and then refurbed

then they
    checked it out
    fixed it up
    cleaned it up
    and sell it as refurb

maybe they have to diddle the opsys with their oem version too to bring it up to level for SPs and drivers etc

no standard def for refurb
    so ask the seller what they mean when they say it

Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    We have all probably seen or heard of 'Refurbished' computer hardware these days, and most likely if we take the literal meaning of the word, we figure it has been 'reviewed, repaired, gone-over....etc' by the manufacturer or reseller, and then placed back on the market at a reduced price.

BUT I wonder if this is really the case?

I've purchased a few 'refurbished' items that appear to be brand new items that have never been unpacked from their original condition. I wonder sometimes if this word 'refurbished' is just a 'branding label' applied to some items that they wish to discount and get out of stock,...perhaps to keep the other retailers happy that they are not being undercut in pricing by the manufacturer.

One of the reasons I bring this subject up is my concerns about the operability of the refurbished units? I've often thought that it might be worthwhile to buy a 'refurbished item' as I feel the manufacturer has had a chance to look the item over for a second time?