New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 8.1 suddenly won't open folders in Explorer and "Related" problems

Win 8.1 64 Bit on my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop has suddenly stopped opening folders by clicking on them in Win Explorer. When clicked Win returns the following message:

EXPLORER.EXE
    "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or if one is already installed,
    create an association in the Default Programs control panel."

This also happens when I click a desktop/taskbar shortcut to Explorer or any folder. Or by clicking the Explorer item on the Start Menu. If Explorer is pinned to the taskbar, I can right click and open a "Recent Item" with no problems. Also a right click within Explorer will open a folder using the "Explore" command. Programs also have no problems with the "Open File" and "Save" dialog boxes. I have also noticed two new commands on the right click menu within Explorer. These are: "opennewprocess" and "opennewwindow". These also generate the above error message. I don't know if these are related to the folder opening problem.

I have not installed any new programs prior to this starting. I have tried a Restore to a prior date with no help. I do not want to Reset or Refresh the system as I have had major problems in the past with those. As per the error message, I cannot find any "program" to associate with Explorer.exe

Has anyone had similar problems, and how have you corrected them. Thanks in advance for any help you can give! - Mike W.

Thanks
    You can try Windows Repair (All in One). Ok, try this: Firewall - block all, nothing in, nothing out. Turn off all antivirus & antimalware protection and monitoring. Disable if not turn off any other gizmo that protects or monitors or alerts. I'm talking about taskbar notifications area. Restart IE. If still no go, msconfig -- uncheck any/all antivirus & antimalware & protection/monitoring; outside of MSE & Windows Defender, leave Microsoft stuff alone. Restart IE. If still cannot open folders; then I hope you have a known-good external backup c-drive image, 'cause I think you're heading for a restore of said image. Load up on caffeine, 'cause you're in for a long haul of reinstall, reconfiguration, etc. Please backup data files as best you can before restoring your image.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    ...EXPLORER.EXE This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel...
    See Fix File Association Error When Launching Windows Explorer in Windows 7
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

mwarren2 (2014-12-08)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ...Restart IE...
    Roland, the OP's error has to do with "explorer.exe" ("Windows Explorer" in Win7 and earlier, "File Explorer" in Win8 and later [C:\Windows\explorer.exe]).

The error has nothing to do with "Internet Explorer" (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe or C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe).
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Problem Solved!!

Thank you Coochin, your fix worked perfectly! Although a Win 7 fix, it worked just fine on my Win 8.1 system. Do you have any idea what may have caused this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarren2 View Post
    ...Do you have any idea what may have caused this?...
    Although I have seen some speculation that it might be caused by malware, AFAIK it's really a complete mystery.