2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old Outlook out of control

1. Does anybody know of any new g-mail or Outlook malware out there?

2. Can anybody suggest an e-mail client that works like outlook without the whistles and bells that I can import my outlook files into and use?

My version of Office is from 2003 (Yeah, I know) that I have been running for years on the principle,
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Some of the recent Office changes offend me (screen-stealing ribbon, anyone?).

Last week, old Outlook quit contacting gmail - no changes, no warnings, just quit. After resetting my g-mail pw. I tried to re-establish the link but nothing works, not even Google's application specific password for two factor authentication. I was using a new set-up and just clicked it away when it failed to connect to the g-mail server but, this morning, it started downloading years-old g-mail messages that I hadn't removed from their servers. They came in groups of 256 (a nice, geeky eight bit number), poisoning my in-box 12 Mb at a time. That's why the malware question.

It isn't that I necessarily like Outlook, I'm just used to it and I'm getting old and set in my ways. That's why i want something like it.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Have you thought about using windows Live Mail?
    When I went to Win 7 from XP, I found this link ( http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_my_...windows_7.html ) very valuable for changing Outlook Express to Live mail on win 7. The bottom of the article discusses win 7 options I believe, if not then you could check out ask-leo's site and there will probably be info there.
    Outlook will be a little different but I'm sure there is a way to change to Live mail for Outlook.
    HTH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Are you aware that with Outlook 2013 (not sure about 2010) you have options for how the ribbon is displayed. You can auto-hide it in a manner similar to the Windows task bar. Or you can have it display tabs only so the ribbon is displayed when you click on a tab.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    ...Does anybody know of any new g-mail or Outlook malware out there?...
    Haven't seen any such malware on customers' computers, but have noticed lately that Google does seem to have made some significant changes to gmail.

...Can anybody suggest an e-mail client that works like outlook without the whistles and bells that I can import my outlook files into and use? My version of Office is from 2003...
    I switched to Mozilla Thunderbird about two years ago after many problems with Windows Live Mail (mostly problems with email attachments), and have installed Thunderbird on many customers' computers. Thunderbird is similar to Outlook 2003 to use, and can import your Outlook PST files (but you might need the ImportExportTools add-on).

...but, this morning, it started downloading years-old g-mail messages that I hadn't removed from their servers. ...
    That often happens if Outlook was previously set to use IMAP for incoming mail, but then changed to use POP3. IMAP leaves a copy of all emails on the mailserver; POP3 deletes emails off the mailserver after they have been downloaded.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    That often happens if Outlook was previously set to use IMAP for incoming mail, but then changed to use POP3. IMAP leaves a copy of all emails on the mailserver; POP3 deletes emails off the mailserver after they have been downloaded.
    I use POP3 for Gmail and a copy is left on the mailserver

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I use POP3 for Gmail and a copy is left on the mailserver
    Even so, that depends on your POP3 "advanced settings". Most current email clients have setting to keep messages on the mailserver for a specified time, e.g.: I could set Thunderbird to leave messages on the POP3 server for 60days (or more) if I wanted to.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Even so, that depends on your POP3 "advanced settings". Most current email clients have setting to keep messages on the mailserver for a specified time, e.g.: I could set Thunderbird to leave messages on the POP3 server for 60days (or more) if I wanted to.
    Are you sure?

With Windows Live Mail I can find no such settings.

In Gmail there are several POP3 settings, but none that keep the messages on the server for a stipulated time.Keep, archive, delete or mark as read are the options.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    ...With Windows Live Mail I can find no such settings...
    I don't have WLM on any of my systems but often work on customers' computers that have WLM.

Depending on which version of WLM look for Tools\Account Settings or Options\Email Accounts.

The "leave messages on server" settings are on the "Advanced" tab of the settings dialog.