Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing IDE DVD Drive

First, I would like to thank all of the members that have been so helpful in getting my WIM 10 TP running better..

I am having a problem with 10 not seeing my IDE DVD drive. The BIOS knows it is there and working, the eject button works, and if I put in a bootable DVD. that works as well.

Anybody have any idea of how to correct this situation..??

THANXX..
    Peter

Thanks
    Is it listed in Device Manager? If not, it could be the old Upper/Lower filter issue:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

The KB allies to Vista but may be valid here as well.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...The KB allies to Vista but may be valid here as well...
    I have seen the Upper/Lower filter issue on several customers' Win7 computers as well as XP and Vista. Don't recall seeing it on Win8 (yet?).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    I have seen the Upper/Lower filter issue on several customers' Win7 computers as well as XP and Vista. Don't recall seeing it on Win8 (yet?).
    That matches my experience as well but I thought it might be worth a shot here.

Jerry

Thanks
    IDE is old technology, and Windows 10 is new. My gut feeling is that there may be an incompatibility there. It may be that if you replace the IDE drive with a SATA drive, your problem will be solved.

I had a situation where I was trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 on a Windows XP computer. The IDE DVD drive would not read the Windows 7 install disk. I installed a different IDE DVD drive, but the same result occurred. I then purchased and installed an SATA DVD drive, and the Windows 7 install then went through without any errors.

Thanks
    I've had no issues with IDE drives in Windows 7 except for the occasional uppr/lower filter issue. YMMV. If you had a problem reading the install disk, the problem is not with Windows, its with the disk or DVD drive itself.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-12-09 at 14:27.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    IDE is old technology...if you replace the IDE drive with a SATA drive...
    See Parallel ATA

"IDE" means "Integrated Drive Electronics" and is used on Floppy Disk Drives, Hard Disk Drives, and CD/DVD Drives.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I've had no issues with IDE drives in Windows 7 except for the occasional uppr/lower filter issue. YMMV. If you had a problem reading the install disk, the problem is not with Windows, its with the disk or DVD drive itself.

Jerry
    The fact that two IDE drives had the same identical failure, and then a SATA drive worked without error, led me to conclude that perhaps there was some issue with IDE on my computer. I suppose it's possible that both IDE drives were bad.

I suppose it's also possible that the Windows 7 install disk I was using had some error on it, causing it not to read in an IDE drive.

My point was that since IDE is old and becoming obsolete, it might be worth trying something newer, i.e. SATA.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As was alluded to, the older drives have been referred to as PATA [Parallel ATA] ever since SATA [Serial ATA] came out. IDE is still still around, refers to the printed circuit board on the drive/s.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IDE_interface.html
    An IDE interface is an interface for mass storage devices, in which the controller is integrated into the disk or CD-ROM drive.
    I didn't get into computers back in the day they didn't have the interface board on them. Any one recall the MFM/RLL drives?

As for CD and DVD failures, the only drives I've seen with a greater failure was the 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives but mostly it was failure to read the floppy disks. CD and DVD drives use a laser beam to read or burn the discs and that causes heat which can damage things. Feel a disc next time it's used, won't be cold.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-12-10 at 18:00.

Thanks
    Vat ist uppr/lower filter issue?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    See the link in post 2.

Jerry

Thanks
    See the link in post 2. Jerry
    Thanks, Jerry, I understand some more; I'm still not sure exactly how the filters work, but, hey, I'm happy now.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/