Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Help! cannot repair, force the wireless adapter to work

Any kind of wireless adapter (pci cards, usb ) isn't working on my HP Pavillon computer. The reason of that is that I'm unable to start the wlan service from Services.

When I start wlan sevice from eventviewer program I have a message :

"Windows could not start the Wlan autoconfig service on local computer.
    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." All dependency services are working!
    Eventviewer shows that nwifi.sys and vwififlt.sys not start.

In device menager ( show hidden devices, not plug and play" I can see aside this two items"!" symbol.

I was using a sc program (From command line as an administrator) to start them. For nwifi.sys I have a message :

[SC] Start Service Failed 5 : Access is denied and

for vwififlt.sys " [SC] Start Service : Open Service Failed 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

In section "driver" for this devices I see the remark :

"This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed (Code 24)"

If I start nwifi.sys or vwififlt.sys from Device Manager I have a message :
    " The system encountered the following error while attempting to start the service
    Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file . A recent hardware or software change might have installed the file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be a malicious software from an unknown source "
    I have use the sfc program and scannow option to verify system file. As well I scanned the disk (with Kaspersky ) and Windows program for viruses.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you can connect wired go to HP Support and download the Chipset drivers (video drivers if AMD) or you can use the Troubleshooting section, but USBs etc. are looked after by the South Bridge aspect of the Chipset drivers. http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/support.html

If you need a different HP location then Google hp pavilion driver support

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

kazmod (2014-12-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kazmod View Post
    Any kind of wireless adapter (pci cards, usb ) isn't working on my HP Pavillon computer...
    What are the brands & model numbers of the PCI cards and USB adapters?

Sounds like driver problems, but hard for us to comment if we don't know what hardware you're asking about.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

kazmod (2014-12-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    What are the brands & model numbers of the PCI cards and USB adapters?

Sounds like driver problems, but hard for us to comment if we don't know what hardware you're asking about.
    Hi,

The PCI card is Qualcomm Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dual Wireless module and USB is Realtek RT8191U wireless lan usb module. Both was verified on my second computer and are working correctly with network.
    Another fact- yesterday I have found that in safe mode without notworking the drivers nwifi.sys and vwififlt.sys in Device Menager was presented as "working properly " but I couldn't start them because in safe mode this is impossible. In safe mode with networking situation is like usual, not working!
    The new drivers for Atheros was taking yesterday from HP site, all new drivers nwifi.sys, vwififlt.sys, wifibus.sys was taking from HP recovery disk and placed into directory c:\windows\system32\drivers.
    Should be as well placed in directory winsxs?.

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Sudo15,
    thanks for advice. I have visited the site of HP in Canada and I have downloaded the drivers for Atheros PCI card. I see that I will visite this site more often but troubleshooting
    on this site is provided rather for simple problem. I'm working on this problem for one month time and I will continue. Unfortuanately I do not have the Windows 7 install disk , I have only the recovery system disk of HP and I cannot make the not destructive restore system operation.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Open a command prompt as an administrator by going Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

You can download a Win 7 SP1 ISO for your version from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...-2#post-124821 and use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...-download-tool to create a bootable USB or DVD.

If the sfc /scannow reports it is unable to repair some files, you can use the bootable media to execute an offboot sfc /scannow where it will take the files from the ISO - but more about that later if required.

If it comes to a Repair Install you will need your generic HP product key should the sticker key not work and Belarc Advisor will give this.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-09 at 12:37.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

kazmod (2014-12-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I will do that.
    Sudo, can you explain me who can deny access for administrator and owner of file, program? In my case I can start the service from command line like : sc start nwifi.sys?
    That could be a sign that I have a virus that was taken control on some kind of operations?

My problem started at moment when I would like to change a driver for Atheros wireless adaptor (probably for some banal reason) and I have taken it from site named "Sealion..."
    After restart the computer I have had a blue screen and I must disable this adaptor.

Yesterday, after regarding in cmd-proprieties-security I found that one of the user that have a full control on cmd program is "Unknown 4329........" That is a virus perhaps? I have removed this "user" but nothing have changed.
    Thanks for support,

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Always go to the computer support site in the first instance for drivers especially for Chipset and video.

You can normally get Network and Audio drivers from the manufacturer's site, but it's best not to use 3rd parties.

How long ago was it that you installed the driver from Sealion as restore points could help.

Is that why you are using the Realtek Wireless USB ?

If you still have that Sealion driver on your computer then you should uninstall it - not just disable it, but you can use MSRT to scan its folder by going Start - type mrt.exe - press enter - select Custom scan and browse for the Network drivers in Windows (C)\Program Files and/or Program Files (x86).

You could also go to the HP Support site and download the Atheros Wireless driver but select Save then go into Device Manager/Network adapters - right click on the Wireless adapter and select Uninstall and check the box to include the software.

I'm surprised Kaspersky didn't snag anything.

Download the free version of MBAM (uncheck the box for the Premium trial). https://www.malwarebytes.org/

When it has completed its Definitions updates click on Settings/Detection and Protection and check the additional boxes for rootkits and archives then click on Scan/Scan Now and see if that picks up anything and then run ESET's Services Repair Tool http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%2...icesRepair.exe

If they come up good then you can remove the Realtek USB and go to where the Atheros driver was saved, extract the .zip etc. to click on the Set up Application/.exe and then see if you have a Wireless connection.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

kazmod (2014-12-11)

Thanks
    ...I'm unable to start the wlan service from Services...
    Try running Windows Repair (All In One).

One of its repairs is "Reset Service Permissions".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

kazmod (2014-12-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post

How long ago was it that you installed the driver from Sealion as restore points could help.

Is that why you are using the Realtek Wireless USB ?
    No, my latest restore point (I have used it), is after installing this Sealion driver . Yes, your right, I'm installed the wireless usb adapter to verify if I can use any other type of wireless adapter.

If you still have that Sealion driver on your computer then you should uninstall it - not just disable it, but you can use MSRT to scan its folder by going Start - type mrt.exe - press enter - select Custom scan and browse for the Network drivers in Windows (C)\Program Files and/or Program Files (x86).
    I have uninstall Sealion driver long time ago and removed all its files

I'm surprised Kaspersky didn't snag anything.
    Not only Kaspersky snag nothing but Windows tools to remove malicious software not found nothing. More exactly during the scan this program show info that one file is infected but at the and it "change" the mind.

[QUOTE]Download the free version of MBAM (uncheck the box for the Premium trial). https://www.malwarebytes.org/ [\QUOTE]

Will do!

I have downloaded the Sp1 ISO file and windows program to make a bootable disk with SP1, but I don't know how to use this with sfc/scannow/ offboot . Can you explain me how I need to proceed?

Thanks!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you first switch on you will see Press F2 for Set up and F12 for Change Boot order although these keys may be different depending upon the make & model.

To boot up with an install disk you need to change the Boot order so that it reads from the DVD player first as in this case.

This can be made permanent by going into Set up (BIOS), navigating to Boot using the cursor keys then using the cursor keys to highlight whichever then using either F5 or F6 to move the selected item up or down then you would press F10 to Save and Exit.

You can also do a one off boot change by tapping F12 as you switch on, select the DVD player (ODD), insert the disk then press enter.

You will momentarily be prompted to press any key to boot from CD/DVD (or whichever media you are using) and after it has loaded you may be presented with a black screen with the option to Press F8 (or whichever key is applicable for your make & model to take you to the Advanced Boot options).

Sometimes you can be taken straight to the blue Install/Repair splash screen.

Press F8 then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt which should eventually bring up the splash screen where you click on Repair your Computer.

Confirm/change language/currency/keyboard or whatever you're prompted for and follow the prompts until you are presented with the Recovery Environment.

Click on Command Prompt and enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

That's a Pipe symbol before find (upper case of \ if you need it) - this is to confirm the partition where the OS is located as while it's normally located in C: it may present as a different partition for this.

Using whichever partition letter it gives, enter (assuming C ) -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

This takes a little longer to run than when done within Windows and will give its report as it does when run from within Windows.

When it has completed the scan, type and enter exit to close the command window, remove the disk then click on Restart.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-10 at 04:01.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

kazmod (2014-12-11)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check your wireless. stick for your "wlan service" being turned on.
    The tasks ahead of us, is never so great, as the power behind us.

Thanks
    ...can you explain me who can deny access for administrator and owner of file, program?...
    According to several sources, Windows 7's prime administrator is: Trusted Installer
    You, me, anyone, sitting in the chair in front of Windows 7 is an administrator, not THE administrator. There are a couple of [dot]reg scripts that will grant administrative powers and take ownership powers -- they become an item in the context menu the chairsitter can right-click to reach and left-click to activate. I think the powers have to be renewed at next power up or start-up.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

kazmod (2014-12-11)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check your wireless. stick for your "wlan service" being turned on. This was my answer for his original ? # 1
    Last edited by S t r e t c H; 2014-12-10 at 12:14. Reason: I was misunderstood
    The tasks ahead of us, is never so great, as the power behind us.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    According to several sources, Windows 7's prime administrator is: Trusted Installer
    You, me, anyone, sitting in the chair in front of Windows 7 is an administrator, not THE administrator. There are a couple of [dot]reg scripts that will grant administrative powers and take ownership powers -- they become an item in the context menu the chairsitter can right-click to reach and left-click to activate. I think the powers have to be renewed at next power up or start-up.
    Would you like to explain with all details how to use this couple of [dot]reg scripts that will granted me administrative powers if in sense of window I'am (and all other) only administrator?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast