Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to get Windows Updates

This is the second time this has happened. The first time I tried everything suggested by Microsoft, to no avail, and finally ran the "Fixit". something may have worked. Today I was unable to get the Updates again. The message was, again "WindowsUpdate_8024402C". I followed all instuctions, turning off the Firewall, disabling Avast and then tried uninstalling EMET 5.1. I of course followed the LAN instructions. Still can't get updates (as you could surmise, otherwise why post this thread). Does anybody know what to do? (or to put it more succinctly, HELP).

Thanks
    Moved this thread to a more appropriate Forum.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Moved this thread to a more appropriate Forum.

Jerry
    Which forum did you move it to?

Thanks
    This one. It was originally in the Forum Feedback Questions and Annoucements Forum.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you read http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7 and/or tried http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ate-reset.html

In the first article you will see a link for Change TCP/IP Settings - follow the steps to use different DNS settings in TCP/IPv4 for whichever adapter you are using and enter 8.8.8.8 for the Primary and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternative.

Check the box to Validate upon exit etc. and if that reports no problems, open a command prompt as an administrator and enter -

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

And then retry the WUs as it can be DNS related - if that makes no difference then you can repeat the steps to recheck the Auto DNS button.

It can also be a .NET Framework problem so run this repair tool while you try the WUs again http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=30135 - this tool is good for XP through to Win 7.

In between having the problem last time and now, have you installed any other programs that could have inserted themselves into the Start up menu ?

You haven't said which version of Windows you are using but perform a clean boot and see if the WUs work then, if you are still having problems. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-gb
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-09 at 19:08.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Miv (2014-12-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miv View Post
    ...The message was, again "WindowsUpdate_8024402C"...
    I have seen the "WindowsUpdate_8024402C" error quite a few times on customers' computers in a nearby district.

In each case the fix was to change the DNS settings, either on any affected computers or in the customers' modem/router.

The settings (eventually) recommended by M$ "Support" are:
    Primary: 4.2.2.2
    Secondary: 4.2.2.3

I have since found that Google's DNS servers also work:
    Primary: 8.8.8.8
    Secondary: 8.8.4.4

In Win7 go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Change Adapter Settings then right-click on the active connection then click on "Properties".

See below screenshot:
    DNS_servers1.JPG

If you decide to instead change the DNS server setting in your modem/router you will need to look up the user manual for your modem/router.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Miv (2014-12-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am replying to two people that tried to help me. I did as suggested and wound up with an error message because of a code that was entered automatically. I was unable to get on the internet because of that so I went back and corrected the changes. (You may think that is a small thing, but when you don't know what your doing any success is major.) Having done all that I went back to the WU spot to try the to see if was still unable to connect with the updates. While it was trying I saw that Updates were installed, so I went to the list. 9 updates were, in fact, installed on 10th and 11th (i.e. yesterday and the previous day). This morning when I sat down at my computer I could see that it had been restarted. That would have taken place after the installation of the new updates, I assume. This however, is the most remarkable thing of all, I received the same message about not being able to get the updates and the error was the same 8whatever message I got before. Being pragmatic, I guess if I am going to get the WU, does it really make a difference if I initiate the process or it is done automatically? I want to thank you again for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you post which KBs are still outstanding.

A manual download of the WU can work as an alternative, but did you try the WUs in a clean boot ?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Miv (2014-12-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know what is outstanding. I looked at a list of the WUs installed and all were successful except one, KB915517, was listed as "failed and the next entry showed it as successful on Dec. 10th. I have not tried to access the WUs in a clean boot. I presume that this would tell me that some program was preventing the access. If the attempt to isolate that program entails what I imagine it does, I would prefer to get the WUs automatically If I can. Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miv View Post
    I don't know what is outstanding. I looked at a list of the WUs installed and all were successful except one, KB915517, was listed as "failed and the next entry showed it as successful on Dec. 10th. I have not tried to access the WUs in a clean boot. I presume that this would tell me that some program was preventing the access. If the attempt to isolate that program entails what I imagine it does, I would prefer to get the WUs automatically If I can. Thanks again.
    Yes, some programs/non MS services in the Start up menu can disrupt WUs.

So what are you doing to get the 8024402C error ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Miv (2014-12-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am going to do nothing. I guess as long as the WUs install themselves I will be OK. Of course I realize that I don't know if I am actually getting all of the WUs. This will nag at me until I finally have to do something. For the time being here I sit with my head in the sand.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you go into Windows Updates and click on Check for updates and it comes back that you are up to date - then you're good to go, but if it returns that error then perhaps we can look elsewhere for a solution.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Miv (2014-12-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you like this? I went to Windows Update and was greeted with the information that an update was waiting to be installed. I installed it. There was a message to the effect that I had received all updates that were available. After restarting the computer, as required, just to see what would happen, I clicked "Check for Updates". The result was the error message 8024402C. As I said earlier I am going to live with this. The one remaining question, how will I know if I am missing any updates, have I missed any updates, has been answered. Thank you for your considerate help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As the WUs are downloading and installing without error, it's strange that you are still getting that error.

Run this MS Fixit to reset Windows Update Components http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

It won't do any harm and it creates a restore point before applying the fix.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Miv (2014-12-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran that Fixit program. When I ran Windows update afterwards the result was the same. In your earliest reply you suggested changing the IP adress. I tried both sets, 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 I also tried the ones beginning with 8. At the end the subnet mask was entered automatically i.e. 255. I got an error message. Do you happen to know what the correct subnet mask is or if 255 is correct? Thank you for your continued help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast