Thanks

Why you shoudn't use MAC Address Filtering

Thanks
    As the article stated, MAC address filtering is appropriate in some cases, such as if you have a son or daughter who is not very tech-savvy, but whom you want to block from the internet. It works really well in those cases.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-12-09 at 18:18.

Thanks
    The article did say MAC Address filtering could be useful as a network management tool, its just not a useful Wireless security tool. Its rare that you want to completely block your kids from the internet in this day and age. It more likely you want to block access to specific sites. Parental management software does a much better job of this than Mac Address filtering.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    As the article stated, MAC address filtering is appropriate in some cases, such as if you have a son or daughter who is not very tech-savvy, but whom you want to block from the internet. It works really well in those cases.
    Children not tech-savvy? They are a reducing breed I fear. I thought parental controls are so obtuse that the parents ask the children to set them up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The article did say MAC Address filtering could be useful as a network management tool, its just not a useful Wireless security tool. Its rare that you want to completely block your kids from the internet in this day and age. It more likely you want to block access to specific sites. Parental management software does a much better job of this than Mac Address filtering.

Jerry
    I had to completely block my son from the internet a few times as a disciplinary measure. I also cut off his cell phone a few times. Modern technology affords parents some new ways to get their kids' attention.

I am the geek in the family, so I knew how to do these things, and my son never was able to figure it out.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-12-10 at 13:55.

Thanks
    One thing I did when typing in the few MAC addresses was to limit the numbers of possible users to 3. By itself, doesn't do much. Little bit here, little bit there...multi-layered ho-hum security.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/