New Lounger
    Thanks

Network Access intermittent

I have a Win 7 machine that I don't know exactly what happened but to say the networking is screwed up is an understatement. After a fresh reboot under network in Windows Explorer it will list the other computers and the router on the network but if you double click or try to expand one of those it will respond with "The network path is not found"
    After a long wait ( 1 to 45 minutes) it will connect to the internet and using email or the browser is fine. If you walk away from the machine and come back it is a crapshoot, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. None of the Windows Troublshooters can find anything to fix.
    The machine has had some bad infections in the past but I have used MalwareAntiBytes to clean up the mess but I'm not sure if something still remains.
    I can't map network drives because the system says it can't find them.
    It is an HP DM-4 with 4GB of ram.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garybech View Post
    I have a Win 7 machine that I don't know exactly what happened but to say the networking is screwed up is an understatement. After a fresh reboot under network in Windows Explorer it will list the other computers and the router on the network but if you double click or try to expand one of those it will respond with "The network path is not found"
    After a long wait ( 1 to 45 minutes) it will connect to the internet and using email or the browser is fine. If you walk away from the machine and come back it is a crapshoot, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. None of the Windows Troublshooters can find anything to fix.
    The machine has had some bad infections in the past but I have used MalwareAntiBytes to clean up the mess but I'm not sure if something still remains.
    I can't map network drives because the system says it can't find them.
    It is an HP DM-4 with 4GB of ram.
    If you ping the other computers or the router do you get a reply?

At an admin command prompt type

ping x.x.x.x
    enter

where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the other machine, e.g.: 192.168.1.5

To get a computer's IP address type

ipconfig
    enter

and look for the connection's "IPv4 Address".
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-12-10 at 01:42. Reason: more info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Guys, gals, at any command prompt, will "ipconfig/all" ping any/all PCs in the network? I forgot. And, if you want a text file: ipconfig /all > [drive][path][filename].txt -- use any text reader.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I can ping any of the other computers on the network if I use the IP address but if I ping the computer name I get nothing. The individual pings vary from <1ms to 5ms

Thanks
    Yes I can ping any of the other computers on the network if I use the IP address but if I ping the computer name I get nothing. The individual pings vary from <1ms to 5ms
    Check settings at "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings"

At "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Change adapter settings" right-click on the active connection then click "Disable", wait 30sec the right-click then click "Enable".

If the problem remains you could try resetting TCP/IP (Internet Protocol).

Open an admin-level command prompt (Start\All Programs\Accessories right-click "Command Prompt" then click "Run as Administrator"), then type:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    (enter)

Restart Windows after the command completes.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another symptom is that when that computer doesn't actually have internet access if I ping the DNS Server (OpenDNS) I get a response along with any other active IP address, but if ping a name (ie www.yahoo.com) I get a hang.

Thanks
    Another symptom is that when that computer doesn't actually have internet access if I ping the DNS Server (OpenDNS) I get a response along with any other active IP address, but if ping a name (ie www.yahoo.com) I get a hang.
    Try flushing the DNS cache. At a command prompt type:

ipconfig /flushdns
    (enter)

You could also try running Windows Repair (All In One).

If you run Windows Repair then it is a good idea to run Windows Update afterwards, as Windows Repair resets WU.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried your suggestion of disabling all of the unused adapters and it had no effect. So then I tried resetting the TCP/IP settings and sometimes it seemed to work and other times It didn't. When I seemed to work it still took a few minutes after the reboot before anything would come up in the browser.

I have been suspecting that the root of my problem lies in the DNS system. I say that because in a command window I can ping any valid IP address and get a reasonable response but if I ping a name (www.yahoo.com) it just sits there without any response until I cancel the ping.

I found a site that out lined how to fix a broken DNS system which included trying other browsers, disabling adapters, flushing the DNS cache, setting the DNS servers to OpenDNS (I have been using OpenDNS for years), and resetting the router all to no avail.

Earlier this evening I did a full non-destructive reinstall of Windows. I still continue with the same problem: A period of time from 0 to an hour of no DNS service followed by a longer period where the DNS system works. When the system is down I can open a browser and if I use words I get nothing but if I type in the IP address of a webpage it will at least load that portion of the page that comes from the typed IP address before it hangs.

Thanks
    That you succeeded with the full non-destructive reinstall of Windows would tend to rule out anything in Windows itself as the cause.

Are you using the Windows firewall? If you are using a third-party firewall that is a possibility.

How old is your modem/router? Have you installed the latest firmware?

How did you go about entering the OpenDNS settings? If you changed the DNS settings within the adapter Properties dialog within Windows it is possible your modem/router's settings are overruling your Windows settings. I have found it works best to leave the Windows settings on "automatically detect DNS" and change the DNS server settings in the modem/router.

Alternative DNS servers: M$ Primary 4.2.2.2 Secondary 4.2.2.3 - Google Primary: 8.8.8.8 Secondary: 8.8.4.4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

garybech (2014-12-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great news, after my last post I ran the Windows Repair (All in One) in its' entirety and it appears to have fixed the problem. I guess I will never know what the root problem really was, but I am overjoyed that it is fixed.

Thanks so much for your assistance.