Thread: backup power

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

backup power

Having three college students in the household online access is sometimes critical. While the batteries in our laptops should suffice, I have a question about powering the router and WiFi. I have Time Warner that carries land line, cable TV and internet WiFI all in one box. For my smartphones to have data coverage, Verizon provided me with a Network Extender that has a cell antenna and plugs into the router. I suspect I need a UPS unit but I am unsure of what all those specs mean and relate to my needs. I understand the units are meant to keep a desktop powered up in case of a blackout and that is not my concern at this time. My need is keeping the internet up and having a place to recharge the smartphones and perhaps plug in the base unit to the land lines. I see one advertised at Best Buy that is well under my $125 budget. It is:APC - Back-UPS 700VA UPS. Am I close to what I need? Suggestions always welcome!
    Last edited by paulh7436; 2014-12-10 at 12:34.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have my computers connected to UPS/Uninterruptible Power Supplies, 2 by TRIPP and 2 by APC. All they really do is provide sufficient time to properly shut the computers down. As for the Internet service, my ISP provides Wireless DSL that is actually powered by a different supplier so if my power goes out their's may still be on. But it's possible for a wider-spread outage to also shut them down. The only Internet access I can think of that stays up when power is out is the traditional phone line, usually kept powered by the phone company with their 48-volt DC which is why we keep a traditional phone like the Trimline or Princess. Some cellphone towers may also go down in a wide-spread outage. When I worked for the FAA we had remote radio sites with backup generators but as computers became more common they were used in conjunction with a UPS as it took upwards of 30 seconds for the generators to get started, computers would have been shut down too soon. Radar sites used much bigger versions of the hardware.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can happily run your router and extender from the UPS, but it will not guarantee that your ISP will still be providing service during the outage. To find out how long the UPS will keep your equipment running you should be able to connect the UPS to a PC via USB and run the APC monitoring software.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Battery backup has nothing to do with keeping you internet running and a place to recharge smartphones. Think of a UPS like an alarm clock with a 9 volt battery in it.....it's designed to keep it running in the event the power goes out. The principle is the same for the UPS to a PC and is just for the PC to shut down properly with out the loss of data or corrupted data. The time that is allowed for this to happen is only in minutes....some 5 - 10 minutes and others 10 - 20 minutes depending on make/model...and usually the longer the higher the price.

What you want is some time of secondary power source, such as a small power generator, which is not very practical or some sort of solar power source. Not sure if they even make suck a thing but you could probably rig one up for the cost of UPS. Just do some googling on the subject.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the UPS will run your 400W PC for 10 minutes it will run your 40W device for 100 minutes, or your 4W device for 1000, less some overhead for the UPS itself. Work out how much power your router / device uses and do a rough calculation, or check out the APC web site for run time data.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    bassfisher is correct about what an UPS can and cannot do. Our UPS set up will keep a VHS/DVD combo & flatscreen TV going for about 30 minutes. If we're home & power go "Pommpf" for a few seconds or for several minutes, we can kill a recording pronto and reset all to off. If we're not home, oh well, damage control after we get home. Our computer center also has an UPS, we have around 20-30 minutes to properly close out everything & power off. When power goes, the DSL, the 'net, etc. is secondary; saving our data is all we do if home.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-12-12)