5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wrapping up a somewhat troubling year of updates

PATCH WATCH

Wrapping up a somewhat troubling year of updates

By Susan Bradley

We close 2014 with 85 official Microsoft security bulletins; keeping Windows updated wasn't always easy. It was a year of numerous botched updates, including the now infamous patch that drove us to Windows 8.1 Update.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/wrapping-up-a-somewhat-troubling-year-of-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-12-10 at 18:31.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm kicking myself for not going with my gut and putting MS14-082 on hold.
    I'm seeing issues with excel macros as a result of this update:

MS14-082: Description of the security update for Microsoft Office 2010: December 9, 2014:
    http://support2.microsoft.com/defaul...;en-us;2553154
    vba - Microsoft Excel ActiveX Controls Disabled? - Stack Overflow:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...trols-disabled
    "It was KB2553154. Microsoft needs to release a fix. As a developer of Excel applications we can't go to all our clients computers and delete files off them. We are getting blamed for something Microsoft caused "

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2014-12-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to know whether recommended Microsoft Updates are necessary. I never select them but they still show up.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan:

>> So far, the first nonsecurity patch to go down in flames is KB 3004394, an update to the Windows Root Certificate Program. As noted in an MS Community thread, after installing the update, Windows 7 users are running into problems with starting Windows Defender, unexpected UAC prompts, Window update failures, and other issues. Apparently, the update is also causing issues with Windows Server 2008.

It looks like this may also affect Windows Media Center 7 streaming to XBOX 360. I got home last night to find the main TV which uses an xbox 360S was dropping the network connection every 2-3 minutes, then reconnecting. it was not usable to watch TV and the family was not happy with me.

I tried swapping two xbox 360's and the power supplies, disconnected everything else from the network, and even replaced the network hub between the MCE and the XBOX with a brand new one I had. I suspected the latest batches of Windows Update and uninstalled the IPv6 one but it didn't help either.

I suspected one of the other updates, but none of them sounded suspicious based on the description. This morning i saw the above paragraph in your newsletter and uninstalled the Root Cert fix, and sure enough, the XBOX streaming now appears to be working fine.

Thanks as usual for the tip. You might want to add Media Center Streaming issues to the suspected problems with this update.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've read on another forum that Microsoft recommend not uninstalling KB3004394 as it may cause problems, and has a new update KB3024777 which fixes the original one. I don't know if anyone here can confirm that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-u...ml#post2958033

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PCLearner View Post
    I would like to know whether recommended Microsoft Updates are necessary. I never select them but they still show up.
    Some like security updates are very much needed. Some patches can be optional. So the answer is, it depends.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

PCLearner (2014-12-12),PhotM (2014-12-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation KB3008923 Affects MS Baseline Security Anylizer

I posted this on Susans Blog earlier.
    FYI Windows Secrets readers:

NOTE: For those whom don't know, this KB causes problems on IE 9 & 11 so far......

Hi Susan,

I can add some to KB3008923 on W 8.1.3 Pro, IE 11. I don't use IE 11(Opera) but I do use MS Baseline Security Anylizer ]which appears to use IE modules??? The Detailed Report pane breaks with KB 3008923 installed. Uninstalling it rectifies the problem.

I reported it in the Technet Community on the W 8.1 IT Pro forum(on my tablet, sorry no link) under the KB# last night. I will add it to the MS Community thread when I get on the desktop. I will also check it on my W 10 partition as well.

You will see me as my name or:

Phantom of the Mobile,
    @Phantomofmobile,
    PhantoMobile,
    PhotM

in case your interested. Icon is always a gold head.

Best Regards,

Crysta
    Last edited by PhotM; 2014-12-13 at 12:04. Reason: Problems between forum and tablet Opera

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PhotM For This Useful Post:

Betsy (2014-12-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, this may be old news. However, I still have KB2984972 left over from October patches. I have been delaying because I saw some messages indicating it may have issues. However, it has never appeared in the Problem-Patch Chart one way or another. I am still getting it. Is there any update on this patch?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marklang View Post
    Sorry, this may be old news. However, I still have KB2984972 left over from October patches. I have been delaying because I saw some messages indicating it may have issues. However, it has never appeared in the Problem-Patch Chart one way or another. I am still getting it. Is there any update on this patch?
    Susan Bradley updated her advice on this one on 30th October - if not connected directly to a domain then skip it. I have hidden it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just curious if there have been any updates on the nonsecurity updates listed on 12/11? Did I miss it?
    I realize the Holidays are among us, but I would love to clear out this list before we see another one arrive from MS.
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, there was a further Patch Watch on 22nd December.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    Yes, there was a further Patch Watch on 22nd December.
    If you follow this link for Patch Watch, you will always know each week.
    There is also a Forum.

Crysta