Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe reader update adds mystery auto-start app

December brought updates for Adobe Reader (and Acrobat). The update also brought a mystery run-once entry that took me some time to track down.

WinPatrol flagged up that a new run-once app was trying to insert itself, and "did I approve this new registry entry?". It gave no clue as to the publisher, there was no information on the WinPatrol database, and it was referenced only by a random number, 1418214625 on its first attempt to climb onboard, 1418227058 on the second attempt. I saw similar behaviour on my wife's machine; her random number was 1418217960.

In the end, I allowed WinPatrol to accept it, and then immediately disabled it, so it has never "run once". It was trying to get into this location HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Once, and turns out to be Adobe Speed Launcher.

This thread on the Adobe Reader community forum adds a bit more from mystified users: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1654402

Dear Adobe - why could you not be a little more upfront about this app, why could you not disclose that you were the publisher, what's the big mystery? You don't get on my machine with as little information as you gave me.

Thanks
    WOW! JF you make me all the more happy that I dumped Adobe Reader when version 9 first came out. It was growing exponentially, every version being much larger than the version before that. Why all that bloat, to just read PDF files....which is the only thing most people depend on it for.

So I went on a quest, for a smaller and faster PDF reader that wouldn't try to take over my PC.

Voila, I found it! "Foxit Reader". Small, fast and FREE. What's not to LOVE?
    When my customers complain to me about Adobe Reader constantly wanting to update, I dump it and install Foxit Reader for them. End of Problem.

Just a suggestion!

Happy Holidays!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Doc,

Looked into Foxit Reader and apparently the newest version contains PUP and other bloatware. Many reviewers are not happy with the current version and are going back to Adobe Reader. Any comments? I'd like to switch, but do not want to if it is no longer a "clean" program.

Jim

PS: I'd be interested in other Foxit Reader users (of the most current version) opinions...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Jim,

I recently installed FoxIt on several machines and not a sign of unwanted software. Be careful where you get your download make sure it's the Official FoxIt site! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

akjudge (2014-12-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the posts in reply. I use Adobe Reader as my reader as I also use Acrobat for creating, and more importantly, editing PDFs, adding forms, etc. This last is a critical activity.

There is so much animus against Adobe Reader (see this thread, and many others) that I wonder whether anyone has installed, for example, Foxit Reader, on the same machine as Adobe Acrobat. I suspect that the results would be unpredictable, to say the least. Or, do I not need Adobe Reader at all, and just use Acrobat as my reader (even bigger footprint!)?

Thanks
    I'm not sure why you think it would create problems. If you create a PDF with Acrobat, then it's a PDF. If you then read that PDF it should be visible - wethter you use Foxit Reader, Adobe Reader or any other. Same as creating JPGs in Photoshop and viewing them in the Gimp, Picasa, et al.

I suggest you give it a whirl - it will be interesting to see if there are problems and you can always revert if necessary. But it's up to you.

P.S. I think the animus is with Adobe rather than just Reader - but far more people use Reader...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Jim,

I recently installed FoxIt on several machines and not a sign of unwanted software. Be careful where you get your download make sure it's the Official FoxIt site! HTH
    The last time I installed Foxit, it automatically installed Foxit Cloud and an update service, neither of which I wanted. I ditched it and tried PDF Xchange, which I now prefer.

Thanks
    You can get rid of Foxit Cloud via a separate entry in Programs and Features but I understand your frustration that they snuck it in with no option to disable it.

Jerry

Thanks
    I also use PDF Xchange now, awhile back, my Adobe Reader failed to load, couldn't fix it.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    The last time I installed Foxit, it automatically installed Foxit Cloud and an update service, neither of which I wanted. I ditched it and tried PDF Xchange, which I now prefer.
    Which kind of makes it as bad as Acrobat.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there any reason why this can't just be disabled with CCleaner? Adobe Reader always loaded fine with out it. I've disabled it before in ver. 7 on an older XP machine. I'll find out, I just disabled it. I'll let you know if there's a problem.

Thanks for bringing this up I was wondering about it since it appeared.
    Last edited by CEScott; 2014-12-16 at 13:39. Reason: Added last thanks sentence.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To answer my own question: CCleaner appears to disable the Adobe Speed Launcher, but then somehow it gets re-enabled. Wow. Next step - remove? It's not causing me any grief or problems so I guess I'll leave it be for now.

Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe Reader

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    Thanks for the posts in reply. I use Adobe Reader as my reader as I also use Acrobat for creating, and more importantly, editing PDFs, adding forms, etc. This last is a critical activity.

There is so much animus against Adobe Reader (see this thread, and many others) that I wonder whether anyone has installed, for example, Foxit Reader, on the same machine as Adobe Acrobat. I suspect that the results would be unpredictable, to say the least. Or, do I not need Adobe Reader at all, and just use Acrobat as my reader (even bigger footprint!)?
    I have Acrobat 9.5 installed, and I use that for reading PDF files as well as editing them, creating them, etc. I do not have Adobe Reader installed. I have no problems there. I use Foxit reader within Windows XP Mode on my Win 7 machine - no probelms there either.
    Paul

Thanks
    I've been using Sumatra PDF reader for years now. If all you want or need to do is read PDF's, Sumatra is a great little app.
    Hawk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2014-12-18)

Thanks
    Whilst I prefer Foxit Reader to Adobe Reader (speed of opening, tabbed windows, features), it annoys me that Foxit Cloud gets automatically installed... and, after I've removed it, automatically re-installed with every automatic update to Foxit Reader.

Foxit Reader used to be quite small (35-40 Mb) but the latest version now weighs in at 106 Mb installed. Still a lot smaller than Adobe Reader XI (183 Mb installed).

Hawk - Thanks for mentioning SumatraPDF. I just checked it out and the portable version is just 6 Mb. I've just used it to open a PDF, a MOBI file and an EPUB. Very impressive! It's now joined my USB stick of portable utilities.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-12-18 at 07:04.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast