2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2010 - Button on All Worksheets Stop Working - Excel Update Problem?

Today, after doing a Windows 7 and Microsoft Office Update, none of the ActiveX Control Buttons that select macros or VBA procedures on any of my Excel 2010 Workbooks work any longer. They all worked perfectly yesterday. Today after the Microsoft Office Update - zilch. They no longer respond when clicked.

Going to the VBA code and running the procedures from there works as expected.

Trying to insert a new ActiveX Command Button results in the Microsoft Excel error dialogue: "Cannot insert object".

I get the same response when trying to insert any of the ActiveX Controls.

(Form Controls appear to insert, but I've never used them as they appear to be restricted to Macros only - I haven't worked out how to attach them to VBA procedures, which I use extensively).

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Have you found a solution?

Where do I find the Uninstall file for removing the offending Microsoft Office Excel Update?

Fully frustrated at this time....

Trevor

Thanks
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rory For This Useful Post:

BygAuldByrd (2014-12-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rory,

Thanks for the prompt and very helpful response. I went to your post at http://excelmatters.com/2014/12/10/o...ivex-controls/ and your instructions resolved the issue very quickly.

Rather than immediately deleting the files I tagged them with a .ZZZ extension so that Excel would not load them, then reloaded Excel. New files with the same names were immediately recreated and on testing the all my ActiveX Control Buttons work as expected. I have since deleted the renamed files.
    Thanks again.

Trevor
    Last edited by BygAuldByrd; 2014-12-11 at 08:16.

Thanks
    Glad to help. This sort of thing helps keep us on our toes, I guess...
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a way to rename the *.exd files in VBA even when Excel is running, which can also fix the issue. I've posted the VBA snippet here:

http://www.excelclout.com/microsoft-...-controls-fix/

Developers can add the snippet to the spreadsheets they're distributing, and their spreadsheets should be immune to the Microsoft patches. It's not the best solution, but it works for now.
    Last edited by ExcelClout; 2014-12-16 at 17:57.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have checked here first, but follow Patch Watch religiously and it said to go ahead with all the Office Patches (Win 7 x64, Office 2010). Did so on Saturday. Everything seemed OK until I discovered on Monday morning that I had lost all button functionality in an important business-related WB. Immediately tried the same wb on a backup XP machine and everything was fine. On my Win 7 system I could not even get rid of the non-working buttons. In a fit of frantic, I uninstalled the culprit Excel Security update -- using a wild guess as to the culprit -- and found I could remove the non-working buttons and re-embed form buttons that ran the macros fine. Lost a lot of time and sweat over this one.
    The culprit update in my case (Win 7 x64, Excel/Office 2010, was Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB2910902) 64-Bit Edition, Download size: 24.6 MB

6rtury

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just found this link that fixed the problem for my Excel 2013.
    http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3025036

Hope this helps.
    Bob

edit:
    I used the Fix-it button at the bottom.
    Last edited by rwshreve; 2015-01-16 at 15:12.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's more info on this issue in "The Microsoft Support Team Excel Blog" at http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_micro...-updates-.aspx

Trevor