Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

PC won't boot with second hard drive installed

I have just installed a Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard and installed Windows onto a 1TB hard drive. Everything boots and runs as it should but when I connect a second hard drive (I have tried a couple) the machine will not boot stating that it is trying read in Windows files then tells me to reboot with the correct media. I have checked in the BIOS and the boot order is correct as to it states the 1TB hard drive as first.
    As soon as I unplug the second hard drive the machine boots normally.
    One thing I noticed, if its relevant, is that in the BIOS with two hard drives connected, the second is listed as Disk 0 and the Windows hard drive as Disk 1.
    Any advice/help will be apreciated.

Alan

Thanks
    Go to Disk Management. Has the new drive got a drive letter?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Go to Disk Management. Has the new drive got a drive letter?
    Thanks for replying. Yes it is shown as Disk0 and the partitions each have a drive letter.

Thanks
    It should be disk 1. Swap over the connectors on the motherboard. The main drive should be on connector 1 and the additional drive on connector 2, or just swap the connectors on the drives if those on the motherboard are correct.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    It should be disk 1. Swap over the connectors on the motherboard. The main drive should be on connector 1 and the additional drive on connector 2, or just swap the connectors on the drives if those on the motherboard are correct.
    It is connected to No 1 but reads as Disk 0.

Thanks
    Solved the problem!
    Threw it in the bin and bought a GigaByte instead.

Thanks
    Vat ist Gigabyte - mobo?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Vat ist Gigabyte - mobo?
    Sorry, I dont know what Vat ist means

Thanks
    AlanWade, I was poking fun at my German heritage!
    What is the Gigabyte item - your motherboard? Or, video card?
    What did you toss into the bin?
    I'm learning from you on how to solve a related problem, if such happens to me again.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Ahhh OK, it is a new mobo. I threw the Asus M5A97 R2.0 mobo which was a shame as it was brand new but didnt want to hang around to see what the supplier was going to do. Basically I had asked for help here, at Asus and from the supplier but didnt get the problem solved so just ordered a GigaByte motherboard which works without fault.

Thanks
    I just discovered something interesting. I have a PC with an ASUS Z87 mobo with EUFI and W8.1 installed. If you hold down F8, switch on the PC then release and press F8 a few times, you are taken to a screen which allows you to choose which available drive to boot from and it will boot from the drive chosen regardless of the boot order that's actually been set. I found it very useful when the OS on the C drive was corrupted. I booted from D (which became C), adjusted the drive letters in Disk Management, cloned C to the now D and rebooted as normal. Pity its too late for Alan to try it.

Thanks
    Tried that Calimanco it wasnt having it. Even though I chose the correct drive to boot from it seemed to want to try to boot from the extra hard drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Alan,

I'm a little late into this discussion, but *I* had a similar problem to your a year or so back. I discovered MY problem was due to the extra drive being originally formatted as a boot disk rather than just as a data disk. To resolve that, I used a free utility called Parted Magic (part of the Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com or available individually at http://www.partedmagic.com) With Parted Magic I was able to toggle the "boot" flag off, and then the system would boot correctly. Your mileage may vary, but it might be worth a shot in the future if you run across that situation again.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Would setting the correct boot drive in the BIOS not have worked?
    Delta-V

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The probable root cause here is that the BIOS used by the first motherboard checks each "disk" for boot information on boot up prior to going to the indicated disk and completing the boot up process. If you have a disk marked as bootable and the information is missing or bad, it hangs the boot up process. Now-a-days you rarely get a disk that is setup as bootable and has a bad boot record.

Simply removing the "boot record" or fixing the boot record on that disk should resolve that issue. I recommend removing the boot record from the second disk now so you won't see misleading error messages later. (Unless you run an OS on the second disk as well.)

The last time I saw this was with an SD card that was marked bootable with a bad boot record. Ejected the SD card and the system booted. A reformat of the SD later it no longer was an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast