Thanks

Firefox 34.0.0 Causes Random nVidia Driver Crash

After Firefox updated I've experienced several random nVidia driver crashes. Its annoying but not a show stopper and oddly seems to have become less frequent. None today yet and can't remember any yesterday. System particulars: Windows 7 x64 Pro, nVidia GTS 250 for video with 3.2018 driver version, also an nVidia GTX 670 with 3.2018 driver for data crunching on Seti@Home project. Only the GTS 250 seems affected. For Seti productivity reasons I'd rather not move to newer drivers......................
    Delta-V

Thanks
    Have you tried Firefox in Safe Mode [without invoking changes]?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

Delta-V (2014-12-12)

Thanks
    Do you mean boot the OS In safe mode? No I haven't however there have been no video driver crashes today yet. Firefox has crashed a couple of times today. I assume it related to version 34 as this was not normal behavior for Firefox or the video driver prior to 34.
    Delta-V

Thanks
    Tonight Firefox is frequently crashing and the video driver too. I'm running Firefox in safe mode now and it helps some. I've updated the video drivers and downgraded Firefox to 33.1.1. Neither has helped. Tomorrow I will try replacing the video cards and try using one at a time also. I have been using the dual card configuration for a few years now and never had any problems before.
    Delta-V

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-V View Post
    Tonight Firefox is frequently crashing and the video driver too. I'm running Firefox in safe mode now and it helps some. I've updated the video drivers and downgraded Firefox to 33.1.1. Neither has helped. Tomorrow I will try replacing the video cards and try using one at a time also. I have been using the dual card configuration for a few years now and never had any problems before.
    Clean the gold-plated contacts on your VGA card(s). Also the contacts on your RAM modules.

Rub carefully with a white pencil rubber, brush off particles with a clean, dry, brush (small paint brush, toothbrush, etc.).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Delta-V (2014-12-12)

Thanks
    Can you rollback to an earlier FF version that worked well with nVidia? If so, set FF to not automatically update itself, search engines yes, itself no.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Clean the gold-plated contacts on your VGA card(s). Also the contacts on your RAM modules.
    Rub carefully with a white pencil rubber, brush off particles with a clean, dry, brush (small paint brush, toothbrush, etc.).
    I'll do all that as time permits. The problem seems to go beyond Firefox today and IE crashed this AM. I also suspect the video cards and maybe the RAM. I'll have to remove and individually test each RAM module and each video card and if possible do a full backup. The hardware configuration is: Asus X58 motherboard, Intel i7 960 cpu @3.2 GHz, 24 Gb RAM, An nVidia GTX 670 card for processing power and a GTS 250 for video, a 1200Watt power supply and 6 hard drives. C: is 500 GB. The rest range from 1 to 3 TB. I built the system in 2010 after retiring. I've run Seti@Home since 9/2003 and this computer has run it 24/7 since the build was completed.

Thanks for the reply!
    Delta-V

Thanks
    I rolled back 33.1.1 which gave no problems before and also updated the video drivers. Neither helped and its so bad now that FF won't run long enough to get to safe mode.
    IE which ran well Ocassionally crashes too now so the problem probably isn't FF
    Delta-V

Thanks
    Problem solved and my apologies to Firefox as the video crashes which also apparently crashed Firefox weren't their fault. There is something about the way FF presents their graphics that made the crashes much more likely than IE, for instance, but it did crash under IE occasionally as well as some softwares. The fix was simply changing out the old GTS 250. I replaced it with a GT 220 I had on hand and all has been well for several hours now. FF has updated it's self to 34.5 and runs fine.
    Many thanks to RolandJS and Coochin for their assistance!
    Delta-V