New Lounger
    Thanks

Possible to have extra text added to a mail merge, if a condition is met?

Hi,

I have one master letter that goes to every state, but certain states require that I add additional language to the master letter.

So intead of creating serveral copies of the letter that will need to be updated if anything ever changes, I'd like to add a formula that says if State = WA, then add this text.

I probably have 15 states that require specific language to be added to our master letter - some of them are pages long...

Is this even possible?

Please help!!!
    Annie

Thanks
    Yes. This is done with an IF field that tests for the contents a merge field. The link in the previous sentence includes an example using a mergefield for the test. Here is Microsoft's reference on the IF Field.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-12-11 at 16:21.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Adding conditional text to a mailmerge is quite easy. You can use the 'If...Then...Else...' dialogue from the Rules dropdown, or you can encode the fields manually. For example:
    {IF{MERGEFIELD STATE}= "AK" "Text for AK"}
    {IF{MERGEFIELD STATE}= "WA" "Text for WA"}
    etc., or:
    {IF«STATE»= "AK" "Text for AK"}
    {IF«STATE»= "WA" "Text for WA"}
    etc.

Note: The field brace pairs (i.e. '{ }') for the above examples are created in the document itself, via Ctrl-F9 (Cmd-F9 on a Mac); you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message. Nor is it practicable to add them via any of the standard Word dialogues. Likewise, you can't type or copy & paste the chevrons (i.e. '« »') - they're part of the actual mergefields, which you can insert from the mailmerge toolbar.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]