New Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing internal HDD

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720
    Internal HDD: Samsung ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA) - 1TB

Hello - as a novice I wonder if someone could kindly give me step-by-step advice on how to replace the internal HDD please?

The current HDD makes a loud 'click' sound occasionally, and I fear that it may not last much longer. I have never replaced any component before, but I have done the following in anticipation: made a System Image using Windows to an external USB HDD, created a Windows 8.1 recovery drive on a 16GB USB 'stick', and identified the access cover and connectors to the HDD.

I assume I have to physically replace the HDD, then after power-on somehow access the BIOS/UEFI to change the boot order such that it boots from the recovery drive. Will this recovery drive allow me to transfer the system image from the external HDD to the new internal HDD? What other steps/precautions do I need to take?

Any help much appreciated! Thank you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NipNip1964 View Post
    ...The current HDD makes a loud 'click' sound occasionally, and I fear that it may not last much longer...I assume I have to physically replace the HDD...Will this recovery drive allow me to transfer the system image from the external HDD to the new internal HDD? What other steps/precautions do I need to take?...
    Before you try to physically replace the "clicky" HDD make sure you will be able to boot to the recovery USB thumbdrive.

See Windows Secrets Newsletter Issue 460 2014-12-11 "How to solve UEFI boot and startup problems" by Fred Langa.

You will need to have the external HDD connected before you boot to the USB thumbdrive (otherwise the recovery program will not be able to access the external HDD).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Coochin.

I read Newsletter 460 and have managed to get into the UEFI set-up by pressing F2 on startup. By disabling 'secure boot' and enabling 'legacy BIOS', I was then able to change the boot order such that USB was first, HDD second and saved changes. I inserted the Windows 8.1 recovery drive USB stick and booted the laptop, but it still booted to Windows 8.1 from the HDD. I tried different USB sockets (they're all USB 3) for the recovery drive, but still the same. I then went back into the UEFI and changed the boot order to make the CD-ROM drive first, and inserted an (older) Windows 8 recovery drive CD-ROM. Again, on startup the laptop booted to Windows 8.1 from the HDD.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong!
    Last edited by NipNip1964; 2014-12-12 at 04:40.

Thanks
    Its a lot easier to clone the existing drive to the new one using Macrium Reflect, Farstone Drive Clone, EaseUs ToDo or similar, then just swap the drives. You don't need to access UEFI as the clone will boot with no further action.

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    N.N.

On almost every Dell I've ever had, including my 3 current Dells, you can keep rapidly tapping F12 while the computer boots to get into the menu that allows selecting the boot device. I use this all the time to make Images and do Restores with bootable USB devices using Macrium Reflect's Windows PE boot media with UEFI Secure Boot ON. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Calimanco - I wasn't aware such an option existed. Will investigate!

Thanks RetiredGeek - I will try that!

Thanks
    ...Not sure what I'm doing wrong!
    Look more closely at your UEFI boot settings. For some reason your existing settings are insisting on HD0 as the first boot device, but you need to change that to your USB thumbdrive. Might be listed as "USB HDD".
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek

You are right about F12. I had to select 'legacy BIOS, secure boot off', then select where I wanted to boot from. I inserted the recovery drive USB 'stick' into one of the USB ports and selected 'removable drive'. Initially it said 'No Operation System', but after pressing Enter a few times, it did indeed boot from the recovery drive. There are then various options, including backup from System Image.

Thank you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin - looks like I should have been using F12 rather than F2 to swap boot order (see previous post).

Thanks
    Thanks Coochin - looks like I should have been using F12 rather than F2 to swap boot order (see previous post).
    It's all very confusing really (Neddy Seagoon alias Sir Harry Secombe, member of the BBC "Goonshow").

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin

Ahh The Goons - God bless 'em!

Thanks
    Coochin

Ahh The Goons - God bless 'em!
    Yeah; sanity check

Thanks
    The current HDD makes a loud 'click' sound occasionally, and I fear that it may not last much longer.
    Have you run tests on the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools? (and I don't mean Dell's)

Most drive manufacturers will have their own diagnostic and testing utilities that can be helpful in verifying any potential issues.
    Even third party tools can be of some assistance.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks CLiNT

I've discovered and downloaded SeaTools from Seagate (which apparently manufacture this Samsung HDD), and the HDD does indeed fail one of their tests (Generic Short), but gives no real information as to the nature of the failure.