New Lounger

Enterprise Scale Anti-Malware

I'm shopping for a replacement for my current anti-malware. I manage 2200 Windows 7/8 workstations and 50 or so Windows Servers 2008/ 2012. There are also a few Macs and Linux, but I can deal with those on a case-by-case basis.

I'm looking for web sites that have good, current product comparisons. The site mentioned in this current newsletter (2014-12-11) is good for reviewing and comparing anti-malware software, but it reviews products aimed at smaller-scale operations.

I'd also like to hear about your recent experience with enterprise scale anti-malware.
    1. Most important is quality, i.e., a product's effectiveness in detecting and stopping incoming malware.
    2. Also important is product's effectiveness in removing established malware. I don't like having to resort to Malwarebytes (and rescue disks from Vipre, Kaspersky, and such).
    3. The workstation software should not be resource-intensive. When it's doing a real-time scan or scheduled scan on a client, it should not have a big impact on the user's experience. It's not good when their systems grind to a halt during a scan.
    4. Essential is a tool to manage the security system easily, e.g., a console on my workstation to view/fix status of anti-malware on all Windows PCs and servers at a glance. If you don't know what that means, you haven't worked on an enterprise network.
    5. I need to be able to schedule deep scans to run during off-hours.
    6. Support has to be top-notch and available on very short notice (typically within a few minutes). When things go wrong with security products, it usually requires people who are the best of the best. And <sigh> all of the support staff have to be able to communicate without heavy accents. My current vendor has the best of the best people on the support staff, but they are in the process of outsourcing support to a sub-Asian country that has great food but where a sub-variant of English is spoken. In the transition, I have to teach their people about computers and the vendor's software, all with a lot of speaking slowly and repeating. By the way, that statement is not some kind of snide jingoistic remark. The current support operation is mostly in North America (as am I), and communication is not an issue. As for the incoming support - well, not so much.

Over the past 15 years I've used Trend Micro, F-Secure, Symantec, Panda, and Faronics (based on GFI Vipre), Each of them has had deficiencies that made them unacceptable. Granted, all of those systems have must have improved by now, so my bad experiences might not be issues in current versions.

WS Lounge VIP
    I've used several of those and none really pleased everyone, but most of the issues I've seen have been with configuration - machine intensive clients were told to scan everything on access, update requests were only hitting one server and killing the network because there were no slaves configured, etc.
    I'd just stick with the one that seems to do most of what you want.

cheers, Paul