Thanks

HDMI Video card addition?

The Mother Board is ASUS B85-Plus and the specs show no HDMI support, only VGA and DVI.
    My question is can I add an HDMI capable card such as a NVIDIA GTX660 PCI-E 3.0/2.0 for example, with HDMI capability, and have HDMI or will the MB not support that?
    Thanks for any/all reply's

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as the video card is compatible with your mobo, that should work fine..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gumintwork View Post
    As long as the video card is compatible with your mobo, that should work fine..
    The MB specs say that it is PCI-E 3.0 capable so I assume from your response that the HDMI card would work ok on HDMI even though the MB doesn't have HDMI capabilities.
    thanks for the response.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That card shows 2 HDMI and 2 DVI ports, plugging it into the motherboard may automatically disable any onboard/built-in video adapter. Should work if you also have a DVI monitor.
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...product-images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    That card shows 2 HDMI and 2 DVI ports, plugging it into the motherboard may automatically disable any onboard/built-in video adapter. Should work if you also have a DVI monitor.
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...product-images
    Thanks Berton,
    I'm not sure I understand your answer as to the effects of plugging an HDMI capable PCI-E card into the MB. I just picked that card at random but was thinking of something of that nature.
    The MB only has vga and dvi connections on the back so I am looking for a way to get HDMI on the computer "if possible ". Is an HDMI card the answer?
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2014-12-11 at 19:38.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Thanks Berton,
    I'm not sure I understand your answer as to the effects of plugging an HDMI capable PCI-E card into the MB...
    Berton means that if you fit a PCI-E VGA card the motherboard's UEFI or BIOS will automatically disable the motherboard's onboard VGA.

Do you really need to use HDMI? The only real advantage of HDMI over DVI is that HDMI has audio as well as video. If you have separate speakers connected to the motherboard's audio ports then DVI should work just as well as long as your screen has a DVI connection.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-12-12 at 02:53. Reason: more info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The MB only has vga and dvi connections on the back so I am looking for a way to get HDMI on the computer "if possible ". Is an HDMI card the answer?
    Yes. I have HDMI out from 10 year old computers (PCI-e 1.0) because of add on video cards.

Thanks
    Do you really need to use HDMI? The only real advantage of HDMI over DVI is that HDMI has audio as well as video. If you have separate speakers connected to the motherboard's audio ports then DVI should work just as well as long as your screen has a DVI connection.
    There are 5.1 speakers hooked up to the system, so you are saying that the video quality of DVI is just as good as HDMI? I was under the assumption that the "HD" was for High Definition
    ( higher picture quality ), and "DV" is for Digital Video. Which I guess leads back to my original question, will this B85-Plus support an HDMI card.

Yes. I have HDMI out from 10 year old computers (PCI-e 1.0) because of add on video cards.
    So, no matter what the MB is, it should support an HDMI video card.

Thanks
    Well, I guess I will find out what happens since we are going to end up with a video card of some type with HDMI.
    All my query's on this thread relate to a previous thread http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Computer-Died where the tech downgraded the dead MB on a repair.
    After complaining to them about how bad they screwed us on the MB downgrade with no HDMI support, they have now offered to send a video card, so will have to wait and see what they send.

Thanks
    There are 5.1 speakers hooked up to the system, so you are saying that the video quality of DVI is just as good as HDMI?...
    There is really no practical difference in video quality between HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) and DVI (Digital Visual Interface); both are HD video.

See HDMI vs. DisplayPort vs. DVI vs. VGA: Which connection to choose?

I prefer DVI as the connectors are physically more robust than HDMI or DP connectors.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-12-12)

Thanks
    Interesting article Coochin, thanks