Thanks

I think I fried a 16GB USB stick [it was only $8 :) ]

Explorer.exe will not acknowledge one of my two Lex[something] 16GB USB sticks. Do any of youse guys or gals know of any utility I can try on it?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    If its working, it will show up in Disk Manager as "Healthy".

Thanks
    I've used this little USB Formatter from HP in the past.

It has revived apparently dead USB sticks for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Explorer.exe will not acknowledge one of my two Lex[something] 16GB USB sticks. Do any of youse guys or gals know of any utility I can try on it?
    Righto Roland, have seen this sort of problem many times with USB devices.

Try running (admin-level command prompt):

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    (enter)

START DEVMGMT.MSC
    (enter)

A Device Manager dialog will load.Click "Show Hidden Devices" in the View menu. You can now uninstall any invalid/disconnected devices.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Thanks all, I'm at a library, so I'll do the good stuff when I get home tonight.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    So far, I've had good results with Lexar flash drives, but mixed results with some other brands.

Thanks
    I bought a Transcend 128MB thumbdrive after they first became available. Since then I have had a number of Transcend thumbdrives of different sizes (512MB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB) and had good service from them. But a few years ago I switched to using Kingston thumbdrives because my components supplier stopped stocking the Transcend thumbdrive range due to excessive warranty claims.

My daily work requires me to have a software library on a thumbdrive for working on customers' computers. Currently I have about 18GB on a 32GB Kingston thumbdrive, which gets connected to PCs probably a dozen-or-more times each day. This 32GB drive is about eighteen months old now and has given little trouble. Once I had to re-format it after I plugged it into a computer that turned out to have a faulty PSU. Every couple of months I re-format it and copy the software library back across from my main PC.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.