New Lounger
    Thanks

Trovia Search malware overrides normal search engine

Nasty thing overrides your search engine (yahoo, google) and will not let you change it back. I was able to do a system restore to a past good date and it seems to fix the problem. It appeared when I loaded a program "Gadwin Print Screen". I have a Laptop, Windows 7 and have used Microsoft Security Essentials. My question is: some forums online indicate that System Restore may not be fully effective to eliminate it. suggestions?

Thanks
    Make a Malwarebytes (Malwarebytes.org) and an AdwCleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/) run to see if they can cleanout the leftovers.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Johnola1 (2014-12-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Make a Malwarebytes (Malwarebytes.org) and an AdwCleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/) run to see if they can cleanout the leftovers.

Jerry
    Johnola1 here, thanks Jerry. Malwarebytes scan found a bunch of "PUPS". (Potentially unwanted programs ). Quarantined them, all seems to be working ok.

Thank you very much for the info.

Thanks
    Long ago, I downloaded Gadwin Print Screen, installed it, have been using it without any trouble. Can't remember what download URL I used. Do you remember what download URL you used? ?I'm wondering if, outside of the maker's original, other copies exist, with "extras?"
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    The way it works is that, when you click on the download link, you are also connected to an adware server which adds the PUPs. Unfortunately, the home sites of the downloads, even MS and Adobe are getting in on the act. So now even going to the makers download site no longer ensures a clean download. You can add some protection with AdBlock Plus (available for IE, Chrome and FF) or similar, which strips out the false download buttons you find on most third party download sites and Unchecky, which unchecks the options and modifies the Hosts file to block the add servers and warns you if you try to install anything it deems suspicious. This is updated regularly. Its still in beta, but I've found no problems with it. Note that some AV programs block alterations to the Hosts file, so, if you install Unchecky, its worth checking that the Hosts file has been altered. Its at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and should be opened in Notepad.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Roland. The download was thru cnet.. or so I thought. I will recheck and see if the url has any strange things hanging on. I have used Gadwin Print Screen but it is an older version and works fine, I was attempting to load it on my wife's new laptop when the wheels fell off.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to you, Calimanco, for the useful info in your post.