Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Updating windows 8.1/64 bit: Not updated since April 2014

I have been away and have not updated my laptop for months (since April 2014). I have automatic updates turned off. Needless to say there are quite a bit of updates waiting in the line. How should I proceed? At one point I heard I needed to download a special updater program for windows 8 is this still the case? So many updates is scary!!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You have Windows 8.1 in your Subject line but Windows 8 in the second question. Which?

There were some required updates needed to be installed before going to the Store to get Windows 8.1 Update, it's Free but may have to log in with a Microsoft ID, I use my Hotmail ID. Lots of discussion on various forums about it. I'd go ahead with any Win8 updates then go for 8.1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-8-tutorial

If you already have Windows 8.1 I'd do all the updates Except those for drivers which usually are optional. It's wise to make sure the computer runs properly for awhile [several reboots] before doing driver updates and then do only one at a time rebooting after each, if one fails it's easier to go back.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-12-12 at 17:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm talking about 8.1 and updater?

Thanks for the advice. Do I need a special windows 8.1 updater program as was announced earlier this year?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I just went to the Store and got the 8.1 Update. It may prompt you to install some required updates first but they will be listed.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-8-tutorial
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-update-faq

Thanks
    *Perform the update on a freshly booted modestly cleaned up and defraged PC.

Put your laptop on a decent DSL or cable internet connection, plug in to main power (not battery)
    and then let WU do it's updates. Be present throughout the process, especially the multiple times it will likely restart.

If you can't get on a decent bandwidth connection you might want to consider updating smaller amounts at a time, or go by dates (one date at atime).
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie en Foret View Post
    ...I have automatic updates turned off. Needless to say there are quite a bit of updates waiting in the line. How should I proceed?...
    Allow WU to install the updates.

There seems to be some questioning in this thread as to whether you have installed the 8.1 upgrade. You can check this by going to Control Panel\System

If you have installed the 8.1 upgrade then Control Panel\System should report your system as Window 8.1. If you have not installed the 8.1 upgrade then Control Panel\System should report your system as Window 8, and you need to install the 8.1 upgrade via the M$ Store.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Personally, I would install them 20 at a time. I have run into errors when I try to install a large number of updates in one go that went away when I installed them in chunks of 20 at a time.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-12-18 at 19:43.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All good an true advice but on a 1.6Ghz laptop with only 2GB of memory this could take many hours.
    During some of the required Restarts you will have only a black screen with NO progress indicator at all. BE PATIENT and yes, do it only with the power supply permanently connected.
    As additional precaution I recommend to explicitly set the Sleep timing to Never. (Control Panel, Small Icons, Power Options).
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    After setting my WU to notify/let me decide what to download and install, I do them in subject batches, meaning, I lump [click on] some .netFramework together, download & install. Then, do the remaining .netFramework updates. Then move onto another small group, 5-10 updates in another catagory, download and install. Eventually, all updates that I want are done. Some I immediately hide [such as drivers, Bing Bar, etc.].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    All good an true advice but on a 1.6Ghz laptop with only 2GB of memory this could take many hours.
    During some of the required Restarts you will have only a black screen with NO progress indicator at all. BE PATIENT and yes, do it only with the power supply permanently connected.
    As additional precaution I recommend to explicitly set the Sleep timing to Never. (Control Panel, Small Icons, Power Options).
    Though I wouldn't want to run any 64bit Windows with this kind of hardware configuration (whether desktop or laptop). With a 1.6Ghz CPU (hopefully dual core like AMD X2 or Intel Core Duo at least) and 2GB of memory, it's best to use a 32bit x86 version of Windows 8.1. x64 (64bit) Windows requires at least 3Gb or even 4GB of RAM and either an Intel or AMD Quad-Core CPU to run smoothly. It's really impractical to run a 64-bit edition of Windows with just 2gigs of RAM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by np-7930 View Post
    ...It's really impractical to run a 64-bit edition of Windows with just 2gigs of RAM...
    Please explain exactly why (I would really like to know why having only 2GB RAM w/ 64bit Windows will be slower than 2GB RAM w/ 32bit Windows).
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-12-23 at 12:44. Reason: Removed Inflamatory comment
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    ?Perhaps similar to the difference between a 800cc motorcycle and a 1000cc motorcycle?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ?Perhaps similar to the difference between a 800cc motorcycle and a 1000cc motorcycle?
    More like the difference between a 60cc scooter and a 65cc scooter I'd think.

Thanks
    Hey, Coochin, you oughta have tried a 50cc scooter, they go eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, anything over 30-35 mph, they come to a sudden stop.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Hey, Coochin, you oughta have tried a 50cc scooter, they go eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, anything over 30-35 mph, they come to a sudden stop.
    Had a 50cc Lambretta years ago. Been trying to forget it ever since...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast