New Lounger
    Thanks

changing name dual boot xp

i have a netbook with two partitions with xp home on each one when i boot obviously they both show up with the same name as an option How do i change one of them to be able to recognize one from the other Or what do i need to do to make it easy for myself Why two xp ( dont ask) thanks Charles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Charles,

Get a copy of the free EasyBCD.

You can use this software to change the Boot menu and give each a different name.

I have my laptop w/2 Win 7 HP partitions. One has Office 2010 the other Office 2003.
    I've changed the names on the boot menu to Win 7 Office 2003 & Win 7 Office 2010 respectively.

Note: You should install it on BOTH Partitions.

Works great. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can change the name in boot.ini.

The easiest way for you would be, with XP running, to right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, then Settings under Startup and Recovery. Click the Edit button. This will open up boot.ini in Notepad. On the bottom line you'll see the operating system's name in quotes. You can change this to anything you want - the only thing it will affect is what's displayed to you at the boot screen.

**Be careful not to change anything else.**

You can do this to one of the OSs, or both.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2014-12-17 at 15:18.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Charles,

Get a copy of the free EasyBCD.

You can use this software to change the Boot menu and give each a different name.

I have my laptop w/2 Win 7 HP partitions. One has Office 2010 the other Office 2003.
    I've changed the names on the boot menu to Win 7 Office 2003 & Win 7 Office 2010 respectively.

Note: You should install it on BOTH Partitions.

Works great. HTH
    XP doesn't use a bootmgr, Bruce.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows