Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ram info

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ram info

Iam curious, I got Acer Aspire Ultrabook, Windows 8 64 bit 4 gigs ram SSD hard drive. Ram isn't upgradeable in this computer, ram is soldered to motherboard. This computer was picked up for me at WalMart. I wont say anything to the lady that picked it up. She didn't know. But I think it,s very stupid Acer did this. Its bad enough the battery is inside the laptop case. Thanks Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Another case of the vendor wanting to keep the consumer out of it, my MacBook Pro has everything under the back, no individual panels. I did remove the back and did my own non-Apple RAM upgrade from 4GB to 8GB using modules from Crucial, no problem. Some things are easier to do in Intel Macs than with the PowerPC versions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What is WallMart's returns policy to see if you can swap it for something else ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    What is WallMart's returns policy to see if you can swap it for something else ?
    No doubt I do like it other than those 2 ridiculious things. Walmart wont let me return it. I wont even try that. Acer is a real joke. I tried to do the warranty thing. I bought this computer about 8 months ago. I did the chat thing on Acer website. Acer said there records show I got my computer 4 months before I even got it and thay said my warranty run out. Not true I got and paid for 2 year extended warranty at WalMart. I have receipt. This came about when I had a serious sound problem ( no sound ) . I got drivers from Realtech and Acer, no luck so I did some searching on You Tube and I download RAR file from Realtech, this fixed it, no problems. Thanks Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It doesn't appear to me that you have a case for a warranty replacement or return. You are not saying the PC is malfunctioning. It appears you just don't like the design decisions Acer made. I think those are decisions that are increasingly common in newer notebook/ultrabook machines. They are all so slim it is difficult to have removable components which require larger sockets/plugs than older machines we know better.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    And don't forget all the little screws and their embedded nuts that add a bit of weight, they all add up.

Acer said there records show I got my computer 4 months before I even got it and thay said my warranty run out. Not true I got and paid for 2 year extended warranty at WalMart. I have receip
    The extra warranty may not actually be from ACER.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    It doesn't appear to me that you have a case for a warranty replacement or return. You are not saying the PC is malfunctioning. It appears you just don't like the design decisions Acer made. I think those are decisions that are increasingly common in newer notebook/ultrabook machines. They are all so slim it is difficult to have removable components which require larger sockets/plugs than older machines we know better.

Joe
    Yes I do like the computer. It works fine. Is there anything I can do to kinda speed up my computer without changing anyting since I cant replace memory. I got SSD hard drive. Iam just average on computer skills. I turned maintance clear off. To my knowledge, never defrag SSD. Windows was set to defrag. I hear SSD is about like a flash drive, no moving parts and are much faster. I watch that tech Brian from Britec on You Tube many hours or Nick,s Computers there all tech,s. Thanks Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
    ...since I cant replace memory...
    Even though the RAM in your ultrabook is apparently soldered to the motherboard, there is often a RAM slot to allow for installing extra RAM. You should be able to find out by looking up your ultrabook's model number on the Acer support website.

...never defrag SSD. Windows was set to defrag...
    Wni7 and Win8 are intelligent with their built-in handling of SSDs. See this thread: To defrag or not to defrag?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Knowing the exact model number of that Acer Aspire Netbook would help looking it up at crucial.com, there's quite a few of them.

Thanks
    Is there anything I can do to kinda speed up my computer without changing anyting since I cant replace memory.
    Make certain you limit/match your software based arround the hardware you have. Your choices of software will make the biggest difference here.
    *Be cognizant of applications that have processes that remain running in the backgrownd and avoid those with excess usages.
    *Maintain at least >50% drive free space at all times and let Windows manage PF.
    *Turn crap off, like indexing, system restore, and remote assistance.
    *Certain services can be placed on the delayed or disabled list.
    *Learn how to properly backup your system with images and hard data coppies.
    *Never alow an application to install startup processes, NEVER.
    *Make certain what you're installing is only what you want installed.
    *You do not need full level desktop AV/AM protection on a notebook, you just don't.

A modern notebook is what a weak laptop used to be. If you think you need something more powerfull,
    then purchase something more powerfull and don't try to work with hardware that wasn't designed around
    more power usage needs.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    *You do not need full level desktop AV/AM protection on a notebook, you just don't.
    Why not?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good question, BruceR. I have an AntiVirus and Antimalware program on all my computers, both Desktops and Notebooks, and now on a new Dell Venue Pro 8 running Win8.1. If a device has an Internet connection it has an inherent possibility of being infected by something.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do NOT turn off the Windows defrag function. Let Windows manage the defrag even of SSDs. It is not true that SSDs never need defragging. See The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD?.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Why not?
    Far too top heavy in weak notebook type devices, in 99% of all instances.
    Lighter solutions are available that do not impeede system performance.
    Besides, the balance of security should be on the careful use of the device by YOU, and not the amount
    of crapware that should be installed and relied to run on it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Iam curious, I got Acer Aspire Ultrabook, Windows 8 64 bit 4 gigs ram SSD hard drive. Ram isn't upgradeable in this computer, ram is soldered to motherboard. This computer was picked up for me at WalMart. I wont say anything to the lady that picked it up. She didn't know. But I think it,s very stupid Acer did this. Its bad enough the battery is inside the laptop case. Thanks Chuck
    I have a Windows 7 system with 4GB. The only time I fill up memory, is when I have a virtual machine running, or a browser, starts holding memory and won't release it, or both. (I'm getting 8GB for Christmas, then I'll have 12GB).

I assume you are not running virtual machines, what is using up all of your memory?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast