Thanks

Avast, AVG, AVira, etc. often shuts down Windows Defender

Avast, AVG, AVira, etc. often shuts down Windows Defender. In another thread, it was mentioned that maybe Avast shut down Windows Defender. My experience has been: WD shut down by other nonMicrosoft antiviri products. I have been able to turn on WD, and for the most part, WD stays on [I use it for 2nd opinion scheduled scans]. It's off, turn back on, it's off, turn back on, oh well, it's a minor problem. I'm using Windows 7 Pro.
    Now, in Windows 8. MSE has become WD, and if Windows detects any nonMicrosoft antiviri, it will shut off and keep shut off WD; samo samo about W8 Firewall [any nonMicrosoft firewall dectected...etc etc etc].
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-12-15 at 12:30.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    AFAIK if you install any third-party AV program (AVG, Avast, Avira, etc) they will turn off WD.

Not necessary to have WD and third-party AV both running, in fact will cause conflicts and system slow-down.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MSE even causes Windows Defender to be turned off (W7).
    George

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    KB3004394 on December 9 has been reported to disable Windows Defender on Windows 7 (and the fix is KB3024777):

New Windows 7 Patch Is Effectively Malware, Disables Graphics Driver Updates And Windows Defender

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Turning off Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall is by design. When you install a third party product that properly registers with Windows to perform A/V functions Windows Defender is turned off. Pretty much the same with Windows Firewall with one small difference. Windows Firewall is enabled early in the boot process to protect your PC until your third party firewall initializes and notifies Windows it is ready to take over. Then Windows Firewall is disabled.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2014-12-15)

Thanks
    For me, either Avast or Avira runs "hot," with antiviri monitoring & protecting & quarantining, but not both. Several malware fighters, only a couple "hot," the remaining not "hot," all of these run scheduled scans. In exchange for reasonable security, I give up some speed.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/