New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Unable to upgrade Internet Explorer/Chrome/Firefox

Yesterday began an issue with my computer. At first when opening firefox, the search box opened and loaded for just a second and the the screen went blank. I tried to go to other websites such as google, hotmail, facebook but nothing would load. I uninstalled firefox. Tried using interenet explorer which I've had on my computer but never used. I was unable to open hotmail, facebook but when typing in the google search box could get to most sites to load. I tried facebook, hotmail, youtube, and a few others but they wouldn't load.

Today I was able to load facebook but it said my version on IE was outdated and had to upgrade my browser. When I go to upgrade I click download and run then I get this message. The version of this file is not compatable with the version of windows you are running......
    I'm running Vista/Home 32 bit. If that helps at all.

When trying to instal chrome it just times out and doesn't let me go to the second step of the download.
    I'm able to instal firefox but still have the same issue with the search screen coming up for a second then disapearing but unable to go to any other sites.

What can I do to upgrade one of the browsers? As you can tell I'm not very comupter savy so instructions need to be simple for me to understand.
    Thank you so much in advanced for any assistance you can provide.

Melissa

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aCraftyStitch View Post
    ...I'm running Vista/Home 32 bit. If that helps at all...
    Has Vista been getting its Windows Updates? I.e.: does your Vista have Service Pack 2? (see Control Panel\System).

What version is Internet Explorer? (in IE click Help\About Internet Explorer.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    How assertively set is your collection of antiviri and malware? I had to dial mine back some to enable browsers to do their thing. Do you have EMET 5.x running? I uninstalled mine, cured a couple of miss-starts. Do you have MB Anti-Exploit? If so, unshield the browsers.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Melissa,
    I offer a bet that your computer is infected with PuPs.
    Remove them with AdwCleaner (ONLY from here!)
    I see similar effects every week...
    Good luck.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    eikelein, good call! i didn't think of that possibility! We hope for the best for the OP
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/