Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't access BIOS; wireless keyboard is dead during startup

Hi, I'm running Win 7 64 bit on a system I built six or seven years ago. It runs fine, but I have a nagging issue: I cannot access BIOS. During startup, I press Delete as I am supposed to, but nothing happens except startup continues.

It's been acting like this for quite some time (at least a couple of years) and I'm lucky there hasn't been a need to get into BIOS. I ask, Why?

Is there anything I can do to cure this issue? My MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 with 8 GB RAM. The wireless keyboard is from Microsoft (Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v 1.0)

As far as I remember, it always worked the same old way: press Del and wait till BIOS opened up. No big deal. Well, not so much anymore.

I appreciate all your help. Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Have you tried:
    Check battery on keyboard, replace if old or questionable.
    Uninstall and disconnect keyboard and alow plug and play reinstate.

Are you sure it's the "del" key and not the "delete" key?
    To access the BIOS Setup program, press the <Delete> key during the POST when the power is turned on. To see more advanced BIOS Setup menu options, you can press <Ctrl> + <F1> in the main menu of the BIOS Setup program.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...id=3263#manual
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVAIO View Post
    ...The wireless keyboard is from Microsoft (Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v 1.0)...
    Wireless keyboards often won't work at the BIOS level.

Try connecting a wired keyboard.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Have you changed the port the wireless adapter is plugged into? Some motherboards only have a couple of USB ports "hot" during boot, with the rest becoming live via the OS after booting.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I found I had to keep one old cord keyboard just for the BOIS
    It sit on top and is never used

Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Have you changed the port the wireless adapter is plugged into? Some motherboards only have a couple of USB ports "hot" during boot, with the rest becoming live via the OS after booting.
    How do I find out which are which? Is there a utility I can use?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    How do I find out which are which? Is there a utility I can use?
    On a tower, it is generally the top two on the back of the case. There may be a utility, but I'm not aware of one. The motherboard manufacturer may have a manual that identifies active USB ports during boot.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2014-12-18),jwitalka (2014-12-15),scaisson (2014-12-18),wavy (2014-12-17)

Thanks
    I have always been able to get USB attached keyboards (wired or wireless) to work during boot by going into the BIOS and setting USB to Legacy mode.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I have always been able to get USB attached keyboards (wired or wireless) to work during boot by going into the BIOS and setting USB to Legacy mode.

Jerry
    How does one accomplish that being unable to get into the BIOS in the first place? With the disappearance of PS/2 connectors, most motherboard manufacturers have hardware-level legacy support for a couple of USB ports to facilitate getting into BIOS.

The OP said it had been working, but has stopped, hence my question as to using a different port for the wireless adapter than was previously used.

Unleash Windows

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

biddlelc (2014-12-18)

Thanks
    Can a desktop case be opened and a jumper removed and placed right back on? I don't know what can be done about a laptop -- unless taken to a service center.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I've always been able to get into the BIOS, its just the screens after that where the keyboard didn't work. I've never heard of motherboard legacy USB ports before. I never stop learning.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone ever find him(her)self behaving in such a strange fashion that you need to tell others, "Well, I haven't been myself lately?"

Well, I'm at that point, only I'm learning that this behavior may mean I AM myself lately. And that ain't so hot.

CONFESSION: I posted this thread and I provided bogus information.

I don't have a wireless keyboard. The Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v. 1.0 has a USB cable staring me right in the face.

But this only matters if, well, it matters. There is an answer to the query that doesn't entail the wireless/no wireless condition.

I got some pretty good information here that definitely was helpful. It appears which USB port you select for your keyboard DOES matter.

I plugged my keyboard into one of the USB ports on the back of the case (at the top) and rebooted. Shazam! I can now get into the BIOS.

Thanks to Super Moderater BBearren for the low down on keyboards.

Thank you to all and I apologize for providing bad information. Just had another birthday and, well....

Merry Christmas all!!

Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted out. I think we all have those days—I know I do.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I enjoyed reading all of the tips. You never know when it will come in handy.
    Merry Christmas all.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Amazing and valuable info. Thanks, bbearren.
    Learn something everyday.
    Apparently it also applies to laptop.
    I immediately tried it on my laptop and it is also true!
    I then used a USB LED light on the USB ports to test. Seems 5V was on all USB ports as soon as boot-up.
    So I surmise it must be legacy USB that counts. Maybe old USB1.0/1.1 have low overhead, and key strokes are directly and speedily transmitted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast