Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numeric code ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Numeric code ?

Has anybody else used the new way to sign-in using a numeric code ? It is the cat's meow ! Jean.

Thanks
    If you've changed the password top something long and complicated on your account login (assuming you're not logging in as local) then it's either that or the picture option. However, who else might try to login (without your permission) on your PC? A desktop at home with the usual house security - it's probably all right. A laptop which leaves the house frequently - well it's only four numerals. It's your choice.

The account I login with has a relatively simple password - though when I test it with 'strengthometers' (LastPass for example) it's secure. But all my other email logins have random passwords, so it would be impossible to login using them.

Thanks
    Nope. Its the optional PIN login first introduced with Windows 8.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, good morn.

I had not seen this before TP, I will look into my W-8 machine, just curious. Have a great week. Jean.

Thanks
    Yep. See: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...-to-windows-8/ for instructions on how to enable.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Fantastic, Jerry. You are such a bottomless source of information. I did it and after the fact is looked so easy, why did I not think of this procedure ? I got pinned on both machines now, just for the fun of it as my password still works.

I have another small problem. (?) I am trying to upgrade to W-8.1 on the Acer but it will not complete. I get the offer to upgrade and a statement that it is free, I hit the Download but after a short while, it says that it will not install. I will try and get the exact wording next time. The Acer is a 2-core Intel at 2.8 Ghz, 4 Gigs of RAM, 60% free on the HD. Go search !

Have a great evening. Jean.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did it all, Jerry and it seemed to follow the instructions. I still have plenty trouble with these dos-like commands but after a few attempts I do think that the process is on-going. I will let you know later. Thanks. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

And Merry Christmas, too! Search to Sign-in Options and there are 3 choices; Regular, PIN (4 digits) and Picture. Ever tried the picture method?? no commands required for these... unless I'm not understanding your query correctly.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Drew. Vice-versa on Christmas.
    You got my quest right, I was curious as this was concerned, and Jerry for ever helpful got it for me. No, I have not tried the picture way. I fancy that it requires a web-cam ??? My Toshiba has such a way to identify the user at boot time but I discarded it as the light conditions at that moment was mashing up the sign-in.

You be good. Jean.

Windows 10OS.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, Jerry.

The instructions for this upgrade as you were kind enough to point me to them, carried out fine, I was able to reach that D/L point, it did not use any previous D/L as the folder was really emptied by these commands. But, it did not carry to success. Here is the same message that I got again after about one hour of trying :

W-8.1.jpg

I looked up that Error code, did a Checkdisk but to no avail.

Today, I will try another route. I had 8.1 loaded last Spring but cloned it for safe keeping as it did not honour my printer. I will clone this Acer next and then attempt to clone back this 8.1, then get all the WUs just to see if this time, it might see my printer an HP Laserjet 6L and/or the networked HP Deskjet 3050.
    Time will tell. Be good. Jean.

Thanks
    Jean, make sure all Windows updates have been installed including any you may have hidden. You could also try the install in a clean boot environment:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I am on the Lenovo to reply to you, Jerry. The Acer is now running W-8.1, the clone did it. It is now installing 61 WUs, the D/L took one hour and the install of them is now into its 2nd hour. One happy : both printers are seen now. The clone was dated 15 April 14. I "hid" as per usual, all the .Net WUs. I never took any of them as I do not do any programming, ( beyond me this is ). I have always neglected these .Net stuff and no harm done as far as I can tell. Your opinion , Master ? Be good. Jean.

Thanks
    The .Net updates are not just for programmers. Its a runtime language used by some of your applications. I would apply the .Net updates in smll goups of about 5 at a time until you have installed them all.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

Don't be hiding .NETs The .NET Framework Updates are needed. And should be (kept) current. It's in 'layers', low #s through to date. Let any & all .NET Framework items from WU to go.

Forgive me for adding what I know but, this came to my Inbox so, just being polite & courteous by giving you a response.

-----------------

No, doesn't need a camera. Uses any selected photo/image.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-12-17 at 20:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast