Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Can't access Internet on laptop or PC but tablet fine

Help! Just set up office in new location/city. IPad tablet works fine. Windows 7 SP1 computer and laptop won't connect to Internet although wireless indicator says they are connected/have Internet access. Checked everything I could think of in Settings to no avail.

Hope a Lounger can tell me how to get this working.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you connect to the Internet when either machine is wired to the router ?

Open Network and Sharing Center - click on Manage Wireless networks - click on each SSID and select Remove then reboot to see if you can connect then.

You may have to click on the WiFi icon in the task bar to click on Connect for your SSID and re-enter the shared key.

Open a command prompt as an administrator by going Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator and enter -

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Let us know how either of those work out.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-15 at 21:15.

Thanks
    Do you have a third party firewall installed as part of your security package? If so, try disabling it.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    First thanks to both for suggestions.

Results:
    - no third party firewall; just Windows one as far as I know. I'm on a wireless network set up by someone else who is unavailable. Could there be something he set up via router?

- Sudo15: tried both methods (thanks for clear instructions!) and got same result: connected with no Internet access.
    Not sure how to connect to router via "wired" as I've never done that before. Can you link me to a how to doc and I'll give it a try. Laptop would be easy to take to room with router (as long as I can figure out which bit is the router!!).

Linda

Thanks
    Wire means having a cable connected from modem/router to the laptop's network adapter. I prefer wired over wireless any time, however, I use both when I'm too lazy to run the blue cable.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it and thanks. Don't think I have the correct cord, however.

Here's another thought: can one have a wireless connection that works and still not have an Internet connection?

Linda

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Working wireless does not mean access to anything except a wireless signal.
    It is most likely you have hard coded some of your IP settings and this prevents you using the internet. Check the IP settings are all set to automatic, or send us the output from this command run in a Command Prompt window: ipconfig /all

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    They are called Ethernet cables and you stick one end into the back of the router and the other end into a corresponding port on the laptop - you would normally get one supplied if you are using an ISP supplied router. http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-E...tronics/464398

If you are using Cable then you could have a separate Modem and a separate router - the modem would be connected to a wall socket and the modem would be connected to the router's WAN port

An Ethernet cable is plugged into any of the LAN ports on the back of the router and you would only have one corresponding port on the laptop where you plug that in..

So far you have cleared the computer of any previous SSIDs and the DNS Resolver cache of your previous ISP, although the DNS cache is supposed to clear itself when the computer is switched off.

It would be handy to know if you can connect wired or had access to a working computer so that you could post the output of an ipconfig /all - I assume you are posting via the iPad ?

Open a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all

It should look similar to mine as you aren't wired -

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : (Your Computer name)
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : DC-0E-A1-35-68-E1
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-DE-2B-B1-B9-F7
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 December 2014 15:45:59
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 December 2014 15:45:58
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:28c9:383:3f57:fefd(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::28c9:383:3f57:fefd%13(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{72214024-B8CA-4271-9178-389454A73AB5}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Windows\system32>

Can you check that IP Routing Enabled and WINS Proxy Enabled are showing as No

For the Wireless do DHCP Enabled and Autoconfiguration Enabled show as Yes and can you tell us the numbers for the IPv4 Address.

The Default Gateway should be the same as the DHCP, DNS and Primary WINS Servers.

If the router is ISP supplied, it would be pre-configured but if your own, then your new ISP details would need to entered correctly.

If those are as they should be then let's try a power cycle.

Switch off the modem and router if separate from a modem/router combo and both computers as well as disconnecting all cables.

Leave off for a couple of minutes then reconnect the cables - switch on just the modem (if applicable) and wait until all of the lights are on and steady.

Do the same for the router then switch on just one computer and see what you get.

Sometimes in a computer Network Connection Properties, unchecking the box for TCP/IPv6 has been known to work as the computer could be trying to connect both where a router is IPv6 enabled.

Right click on the WiFi icon in the task bar and you could select Troubleshoot problems to see what that comes up with, but click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Click on Change adapter settings - right click on Wireless Network Connection and select Properties and uncheck the box for (TCP/IPv6) - OK

Close that window and reboot.

If you still don't have anything then go back to the WiFi icon and select Troubleshoot problems and let us know what that reports.

Thanks
    Perhaps your Wireless connection profile is corrupted. Assuming you know your SSID and password follow the instructions here to delete and recreate your connection profile:
    http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=281

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just a thought - as you have moved cities, have you also changed Time Zones and is your computer clock showing the correct time for where you are now ?

If it isn't, then this is how to do it http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7

While that article doesn't mention it, ensure the calendar is also correct.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow and thanks so much for all your help and suggestions.

Found IP info and as you said can't send screen shot as it's in computers and I can "talk" to you only via iPad! Still it looks much like yours Sudo5 except there is no listing for Gateway so can't compare...FLASH...just got reply from new location owner: he said he hasn't set up any service here!

I assumed he had since wireless was working.

Is this the answer to my issue? If not will delve into your further suggestions.

Linda

PS new city just a couple of hours north. Same zone but good thought!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Wow and thanks so much for all your help and suggestions.

Found IP info and as you said can't send screen shot as it's in computers and I can "talk" to you only via iPad! Still it looks much like yours Sudo5 except there is no listing for Gateway so can't compare...FLASH...just got reply from new location owner: he said he hasn't set up any service here!

I assumed he had since wireless was working.

Is this the answer to my issue? If not will delve into your further suggestions.

Linda

PS new city just a couple of hours north. Same zone but good thought!
    The wireless connection can work without internet connectivity. If there is no internet service, that is the likely answer, particularly with no Gateway listed.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Your iPad must be using 3G because if there's no Internet coming down the line, it won't be connecting to the router's WiFi - but at least you have learned a bit more in finding out

While I don't know about a modem, a modem/router combo would normally have 4 green lights lit when using just WiFi - how many does yours have and are any orange or not lit ?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Super. Yes I have learned a huge amount but am most embarrassed to have taken up so much of you wonderfully helpful Loungers' time!!

Sudo: Think iPad is on LTE. Modem/router combo has 4 spots for green lights but only wifi one is lit (and power). Looking more closely' see that the Internet light is not lit.

Again my sincere apologies to the Lounge for all this. So frustrating to be ignorant of so much needed tech knowledge. BUT thanks so much to this lounge, my IT saviout for lo these many years!!

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No apologies necessary, we enjoy giving our brain cells some exercise

It's strange that whoever set the router up for you didn't notice or mention the lack of green lights on the router.

I don't think we have much in the way of 4G here in the UK except for EE service provider.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-16 at 19:55.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast