Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Antivirus problem

Hi: I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum but here goes. I had installed Panda AntiVirus free because of the good reviews. The problem with Panda was that the constant sales pop-ups were driving me crazy. I tried to uninstall Panda so I could revert to Windows Defender until I decided what to do. Somehow, during the Panda uninstall (using Revo) the process became corrupted. I spent hours trying to get Panda out. I scoured the Panda site and finally downloaded a couple of generic uninstallers that did not work either. I tried to reinstall Panda but when I did it would not perform a scan. Where I am is that I can't uninstall Panda completely and I cannot get Defender to work because, apparently, it sees something left from Panda and won't let itself be turned on. Because I have the free version of Panda I can't get help there. There may be some file or registry setting that is causing the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I sure would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

I neglected to say that I am using Windows 8.1 Pro.
    Last edited by elgercee; 2014-12-15 at 18:28. Reason: Add info.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Might try System Restore back to a day before installing Panda.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Might try System Restore back to a day before installing Panda.
    I should have noted that I did try system restore and it did not help. I also ran SFC /scannow and that did not help either. The only good news is that I downloaded AVG free and it installed fine and is now doing a complete scan. At least now I have protection. Thanks for responding.
    Last edited by elgercee; 2014-12-15 at 18:57. Reason: missing word

Thanks
    Run the Panda unistaller tool found here:
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/hom...card/?id=55509

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try running the Panda Uninstaller .exe in Safe Mode with Networking from his list http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p...a-6aebfa322f75

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Too bad you didn't pick AVG Free in the first place. I've been using it for years and like it because it doesn't nag you with a lot of ads, and it's a pretty good antivirus program. I'm not sure about this but you might give it a try if all the uninstallers don't work - run CCleaner and it may clean up the panda mess, but no guarantee on that. Good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Try running the Panda Uninstaller .exe in Safe Mode with Networking from his list http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p...a-6aebfa322f75
    That's the exact same utility I listed in post 4.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    That's the exact same utility I listed in post 4.

Jerry
    I thought it may have been but running the Uninstaller in Safe Mode may have a better chance of getting rid of it.

It took me a while to dig mine out of my "toolbox" and saw that you had already posted it - was going to delete mine but I was ready for bed
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-16 at 06:22.

Thanks
    As Coochin will testify, there are "vays make Pandamonium go avay." Simply put, there are ways to clean up the Pandamonium; however, the process itself can be long and complicated! It could eventually involve registry editing, deleting folders here and there. If interested, I can help walk you through only because other far-wiser techs than me in here walked me through the process more than once - I learned from the best here!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all of the responses. When I mentioned "generic uninstallers" I should have been more specific. The one recommended by JWitalka and Sudo 15 I had found on Panda's site and run. It and a different uninstaller I found on the Panda site did nothing. AVG is up and running well and I am safely covered. My problem now is simple. If I click Windows Defender in Control Panel I get a message that says (I am paraphrasing) that it is turned off and if I am using a different virus app I should check Action Center to check the status of that app. I temporarily stopped AVG to see if Defender would work. It did not--I get the same message about it being turned off.

PS: I had tried to reinstall Panda thinking that would fix it. It did not--something keeps it from installing properly and it would not run a scan.

So, it appears that there is a setting or file or registry entry specifically relating to Panda and/or Defender that is corrupted. This will only be a problem if I want to use Defender again. I'll keep plugging away at it and see if I can figure something out. I could do a reset or restore but that would be like using TNT to kill a mosquito. Thanks again to all of you for your help.
    Last edited by elgercee; 2014-12-16 at 17:02. Reason: add info

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Win 8/8.1 installing any 3rd party AV program will auto disable Windows Defender because running two active AV programs together will cause all sorts of problems - not least, loss of Internet connectivity.

Disabling AVG wouldn't be sufficient for WD to reactivate and if you didn't use AVG's Uninstaller or fully uninstall it prior to attempting to reinstall Panda - you would get that conflict where Panda wouldn't install or fully install.

Thanks
    I posted earlier in haste, let me add: the only registry editing/cleaning I recommend is one or more of the following: Auslogics Registry Cleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner, CCleaner. Do not invoke registry compression nor System This and That, registry cleaning is all you need here.
    The Panda folders I would delete would be those in user appdata local and/or roaming areas, ProgramData Panda folders [if any there], Program Files [64-bit or 32-bit section] Panda folders. Anyway, keep us posted as to your successes in solving Pandamonium.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elgercee View Post
    ...This will only be a problem if I want to use Defender again. I'll keep plugging away at it and see if I can figure something out. I could do a reset or restore but that would be like using TNT to kill a mosquito...
    I'd advise leave well enough alone.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I heeded all of the suggestions that were made and did the following: Using "Ultra Search " I searched the computer for references to Panda or Panda Security. I then tried to delete all of them. Some could not be deleted. I then searched the registry for the same references and deleted them. Then I went to "Services" and disabled any associated with Panda. When I cleaned up the registry and services, I was than able to delete explorer entries that I was previously unable to delete. At this point, the computer is clean of any Panda references. Following the suggestion of RolandJS, I downloaded and ran Auslogics and Wise registry cleaners. Generally, I was not impressed. When I ran Auslogics it found 900+ problems and I allowed it to "fix" them. I then ran Wise and guess what? It found 900+ problems. Strange, huh? I then uninstalled AVG and rebooted. I got the same message about Defender and I could not start the program. I reinstalled AVG. From this point on I am going to take Coochin's advice and leave well enough alone.

Thank you all who responded--you were a great help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Been having a Google on this and found two methods that had worked and this is "verbatim" as I don't have Win 8/8.1 to confirm.

One was to press Win key + R and scroll to Security Center and click on Reset.

The other was to type security center into Search and when it comes up, checking two boxes was required - but ensure AVG is fully uninstalled first if you want to continue with this - I think I would just for peace of mind.

I think the only other option would be to do a Refresh but you'd have your own programs to reinstall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast