New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 screen flashes on normal boot and will not boot

Dell inspiron 2320 64bit Home Premium all in one boots just fine into safe mode. Every time I try to boot it normally it loads the windows splash screen and about 10 seconds later the screen flashes and just hangs. I never get an error message it just flashes and flashes forever.

I have tried the following: (not in order!)
    system restore
    restore BIOS to default
    run system file checker
    run Startup repair
    run /fixboot
    run /fixmbr
    run system diagnostics and everything passes
    ran malwarebytes and nothing major was found...just a few PUPs

Machine belongs to a friend of a friend who knows nothing about the machine other than "the kids probably did something to it".

There is no D: Recovery partition and of course there is no system image.

Please help!!!!! I'm ready to pull my hair out. It's a nice machine and I'd love to fix it for her and lock it down so they can get some service on it!
    It's only 1.5 years old...

Thanks!!!!!!

Thanks
    Could be corrupted display driver.

In Safe Mode go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Device Manager, right-click on the display device in the "Display adapters" group then left-click "Uninstall" Don't tick the "Delete driver files..." checkbox; when you restart Windows to Normal Mode it will try to re-install the display driver.

If Windows can't re-install the existing display driver then it should load a basic "Standard Graphics Adapter" (low resolution). You should then be able to look up the model or service tag number on Dell's support site to download and install the latest display driver.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    If Coochin's suggestions dont help, try disabling everything in the startup tab in MSCONFIG.exe. If the system now boots, reenable things in groups until you find the culprit.

Jerry

Thanks
    After things are working again, a rescue USB stick and a rescue DVD can be made, correct?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

marsee (2014-12-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Regarding Jerry's suggestion of disabling items in msconfig - if you need to disable any items under the Services tab as well, ensure you check the box to Hide all MS services before you hit the Disable button.

In Safe Mode you can check Event Viewer to see what that has recorded for the boot problems.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-16 at 06:17.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

marsee (2014-12-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    There are 2 display adapters listed...NVDIA GEforce GT525m and and Intel.
    Do you think I should uninstall both of them?

Thanks
    Yes, uninstall both. The Intel would be onboard graphics in the motherboard, and I would think should be disabled in BIOS if there is an NVDIA graphics card installed. But uninstall both, then try to boot normally. Let us know how it goes.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

marsee (2014-12-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's taking longer to go into the flashing screen but it's still not booting correctly.

Here's what it does:
    Splash, logo, starting windows
    blank
    please wait
    chimes
    about 30 seconds and then the rapid flash.

Anyway to boot to an external monitor?
    There is NOTHING video related even listed in the BIOS.

I enabled bootlogging but I believe it's logging the safe boot process.

Any more ideas guys? As always...thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you can get the Desktop up when booting up into Safe Mode with Networking, first open Event Viewer and see what that reports (could be listed as a Critical error).

Depending upon what that has, go to the Dell Support site and download the Chipset and Video drivers.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-16 at 12:51.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

marsee (2014-12-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can boot all day into Safe Mode. It's normal boot that freaks out. I will check the logs again and see.

Gotta go to work for a bit.....will try later and post results. Thanks!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ended up having to do a clean install of 7...working great now.
    Made a bootable usb and an image so if the kids mess it up again it will be much easier!

Thanks for all your help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Could be worth creating local user accounts for them and yours as the Admin account (password protected) and then they won't be able to download anything.

Thanks
    Sudo15, your idea is excellent, however, would a normal user account still be able to uninstall and/or meddle w/configuration any program used by all users?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Sudo15, your idea is excellent, however, would a normal user account still be able to uninstall and/or meddle w/configuration any program used by all users?
    That would depend on how the program and it's installation routine are written. Most everything can be accomplished from a standard user account if one knows the password of an account in the Administrators group to be able to acknowledge UAC. I run routinely from a standard user account, and if I want to uninstall or install something, I right-click and select Run as administrator.

There are some programs, apps, utilities that will install/uninstall/run for a standard user, but by no means all.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    On the Win 7 laptops that I've worked that had multiple users with just one admin account, when logging in with any of the local users and attempting anything that required the admin account, I was always prompted for the admin password to be able to execute whatever I wanted to do.