Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win 7 Home - Frustrations

As somebody who has been around computers since before the IBM PC and MS-DOS days, I find it increasingly difficult to keep up with OS changes. Going from Win 98SE to Win XP wasn't too big of a jump but going from XP to Win 7 Home is proving to be unusually frustrating.

1) Is it possible to get direct access to the Command Prompt in Win 7 Home by placing an ikon on the desk top? If so, how? This was simple in all previous Windows versions. Why has Microsoft now made it an indirect and clumsy process?

2) Similarly, is it possible to get direct access to Control Panel in Win 7 Home by placing an ikon on the desk top? If so, how? This access has also been made indirect and clumsy in Win 7.

3) Is there some way to get Win 7 Home to allow a user to direct a particular downloaded file to a folder/directory of the user's choice rather than insisting on sending downloads to Microsoft's preferred destination folder/directory?

This ancient duffer will appreciate any guidance.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    1. I right-click the Command Prompt icon in Accessories and chose Pin to Start Menu, should be able to right-click it and drag to the Desktop. I like the Start Menu choice as I don't have to minimize programs to get to it. Could even Pin to Taskbar.
    2. Not the whole Control Panel although you can change the Start Menu to show a fly-out to choose an individual item. You can also right-click an item and choose Create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    3. I find it easier to use the default choice then Move where I want [usually an External USB HDD or NAS] than to keep changing the default for each download. If one sets Windows Explorer to show the newest dates first it's quite easy to find the latest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-12-22)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to get direct access to the Command Prompt in Win 7 Home ?
    Make a shortcut to: %windir%\system32\cmd.exe

Similarly, is it possible to get direct access to Control Panel in Win 7 Home by placing an ikon on the desk top?
    Go to Control Panel in Start Button, right-click, select place on desktop.

Is there some way to get Win 7 Home to allow a user to direct a particular downloaded file to a folder/directory of the user's choice rather than insisting on sending downloads to Microsoft's preferred destination folder/directory?
    There is, but I can't remember either, right now.

Zig

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-12-22)

Thanks
    1. Start\All Programs\Accessories then right-click "Command Prompt" then left-click "Copy" then right-click in a clear space on your Desktop then left-click "Paste".

2. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization then click on "Change desktop icons" in the left panel.

3. If you are using Internet Explorer click the "Save" drop-down arrow then click "Save as" then browse to the folder you want to save the download file in.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-12-23)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    going from XP to Win 7 Home is proving to be unusually frustrating
    Wait until you see the changes in Win8/8.1.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-12-23)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can use IE to change the download location by going Tools (cog) and click on View downloads then on Options in the lower left corner.

You will be presented with a Browse option where you select the location and click on Open.

It really depends upon what you are downloading, but as you will know, programs need to be installed before they can be incorporated into the system - so it's generally the Downloads folder or Desktop.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-12-23)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Or better known for some as Nightmare on MS Street

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-12-23)

Thanks
    If you're using FF or Google Chrome, both of them can be set once to put all downloads into your chosen directory. IE can be set likewise. There are some downloads which will use Microsoft download place - giving you no choice. However, make a shortcut to BOTH download places, yours & Microsofts, onto the desktop. That way, you can swiftly access either directory.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-12-23)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Yes it's so much better!

Just right click on the windows button - bottom left corner, and there are links to control panel and the cmd prompt (both ordinary and run as administrator).
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2014-12-17 at 07:10. Reason: added some 'useful' information!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-12-23)

Thanks
    2) Similarly, is it possible to get direct access to Control Panel in Win 7 Home by placing an ikon on the desk top? If so, how? This access has also been made indirect and clumsy in Win 7.
    A while back, one of the WS newsletters had a way to put all of windows functions in a simple to use folder on your desktop. I copied the instructions and put that folder on my desktop and it is very handy, here are the instructions ( follow them closely ):
    " Command Central: Windows functions in one place
    How did an essentially undocumented trick, designed for IT administrators and commonly called GodMode, go viral on the Internet? Certainly the all-powerful connotation of the name aroused interest. But it's this function's one-stop list of Windows tools that wins over most users.
    Whatever you wish to call this function, it conveniently consolidates into one folder a veritable switchboard of configurable Windows options and commands. The 256 items (sorted into 45 categories) are typically buried under layers of Control Panel menus or in right-click submenus — or otherwise submerged in the vast number of admin tools in Windows.
    To create this folder, take the following steps:
     Right-click a free spot on the desktop and select New/Folder.
     Give the new folder any name you wish, as long as it's followed by a period and the following string of characters: {ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
     For example, the file name could be something similar to this: All Commands.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
     Double-click to open the folder, and it should be populated with more than 250 functions.
    Of course, any one of these functions can be called up from the Windows search bar. But if you don't recall a specific function's name, good luck with that route. Your new all-commands folder should make a
    needed tool quick to find and easy to launch. "
    HTH for what you need.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

artied2 (2014-12-26),Henrik37 (2014-12-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While I am no spring chicken, I hope to be around long enough to skip Win 8.1 and make it through the Win 10 learning curve. A long time friend who is 91 and rather wealthy was given a very nice Win 8.1 lap top by his grandson this past summer. A month or so later, the grandson asked his guy how he liked his new computer. The guy responded that he had donated the new computer to GoodWill Industries and gone back to using his old Win XP lap top because he found Win 8.1 so confusing that it wasn't useful. I have to wonder what the folks at MS are thinking about when they create an interface that so baffles people. Has anyone at MS ever studied human engineering issues? I have tried to use another friend's Win 8.1 and never want to see Win 8.1 again - and I go back to the MS-DOS days. That is why I finally converted to Win 7.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik37 View Post
    ...I go back to the MS-DOS days...I finally converted to Win 7.
    Here, here! Way to go! I also hail from PC-DOS 2.01, MS-DOS 3.3, ok, that's enough from me about ancient history. I paid Altex good money to roll my Acer Aspire from Windows 8 to Windows 7 Pro -- and have not looked back. Now, my desktop and two laptops are on the same page.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ...I paid Altex good money to roll my Acer Aspire from Windows 8 to Windows 7 Pro -- and have not looked back. Now, my desktop and two laptops are on the same page.
    Actually Roland I am often asked to help customers who are struggling with their new Win8/8.1 computer. Most often their main problem is with Win8's "Splash Screen" not allowing them to access the programs they want to use. The problem is less acute in Win8.1, but still exists.

Simple fix is to install Classic Shell, which adds a traditional start menu to the Win8/8.1 "Start button".
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Actually Roland I am often asked to help customers who are struggling with their new Win8/8.1 computer. Most often their main problem is with Win8's "Splash Screen" not allowing them to access the programs they want to use. The problem is less acute in Win8.1, but still exists.

Simple fix is to install Classic Shell, which adds a traditional start menu to the Win8/8.1 "Start button".
    Can I ask how Win8/8.1 doesn't allow users to access programs? I've never found it a problem....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Can I ask how Win8/8.1 doesn't allow users to access programs? I've never found it a problem....
    Usually the customer has obtained a new Win8/8.1 system from a retail store.

They try to use it for the first time, but are confronted with the problem that when they click on the "Start" button in the lower-left corner of the taskbar they don't see a "Start Menu" as in previous versions of Windows, rather they see the Win8 "Splash Screen" with many "Apps" listed which totally confuses the user.

Same problem remains after the Win8.1 upgrade.

Variation might be that whoever set up Win8/8.1 for you probably installed Classic Shell or an alternative program to restore the earlier Windows start menu behaviour, i.e.: click on the "Start" button to access a list of what you can do, including launching programs you have installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast