New Lounger
    Thanks

Compact and Repair

Recently during my manual "Compact and Repair" process I get an error message.
    The message is "Selected collating sequence not supported with the specified file format."

I don't see where it is giving me any major problems but am not sure if the compacting function is actually being performed.

The "Backup" function still works with no error message which I find strange because I figured that part of the backup process is a compact and repair process.

Any ideas what I am seeing?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What version of Access are you using (2000, 2003, 2007, 2010...) and what file format are you using (.mdb, .adp, .accdb, etc.)? There is a setting in Access on the General group that specifies the sort order for new databases, and when you do a compact and repair, you are essentially creating a new database. If you are using the .mdb format, you want to set the sort order to "General - Legacy"
    Wendell

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WendellB For This Useful Post:

William.hodgson (2014-12-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Solved

I am using 2010, I set the sort as you suggested and it seems to have calmed the files down.

It mystifies me that these types of issues creep into the mix months even years down the road from the initial install.

But thanks for the tip, on the nose as usual.