Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question What speed ( Mbps) needed?

Setting up Internet/cable service in temporary location used for both home and small Business (on line training products).

Budget is tight.

Would appreciate your ideas on what Mbps speed needed? Is 15 adequate? Our business uses video (and I sometimes watch TV reruns on my PC)?

We use 2 iPhones, 1 iPad, 1 Windows 7 SP1 PC and 1 Windows 7 SP1 laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions! My research results were so technical I got totally lost!

Linda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Linda,

I get 6 Mbps down with my cable connection and have no trouble watching NetFlix or downloading large files. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, great to see you here, RG! that sounds positive. Verizon rep was telling me I'd need 50/50 for up to 6 devices!

Another reason to come here first...always!

Thanks,

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not sure how accurate this calculator would be, but at least it should be a guide http://bandwidthpool.com/bandwidth-calculator/

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, you're everywhere! And that's a good thing.

Calculator was perfect for me. Gave our need as 1 to 6 Mbps download speed for 2 users.

Sounds like Retired Geek and your calculator are both more reliable than Verizon! Hmmmm? Was I being sold?!

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quite probably

Thanks
    I have a desktop, 2 laptops, 2 Windows phones, an Amazon fire HD and two WiFi access Vizio TV's on 4Mbps down on DSL.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In the UK our ADSL download speed is dependent upon the length of cable, its quality and joints between us and the exchange - how much does that differ in the US if you can buy different packages.

Fibre or what I think you call Cable in the US is different and in the UK while there are different packages, generally it's Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) which is a green junction box, hopefully in close approximation to your home as the speed is then dependent on that distance and the drop off speeds dependent upon Contention - which is the number of people sharing the line and whether everyone is on at peak times.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand. Looks as if we'll go with down of 5 and up of 35. Sounds better for us than other option provider offers (15/2). Going with local provider vs. "big guns" because the customer service rep was so helpful and needs oriented!!

Appreciate all your input. It sure helped us cut through all the tech stuff!

Thanks again,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2014-12-17 at 14:28.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    In the UK our ADSL download speed is dependent upon the length of cable, its quality and joints between us and the exchange - how much does that differ in the US if you can buy different packages.

Fibre or what I think you call Cable in the US is different and in the UK while there are different packages, generally it's Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) which is a green junction box, hopefully in close approximation to your home as the speed is then dependent on that distance and the drop off speeds dependent upon Contention - which is the number of people sharing the line and whether everyone is on at peak times.
    Since I am in a rural part of the Desert, I tried satellite and that sucked. Then an ISP started doing Wireless from about 20 miles away. The ISP receives bandwidth from Los Angeles and distributes it via many AP's to wireless radios mounted on homes, one of which is mine. Depending on "Peak Times" and the bandwidth quality the ISP receives, I get anywhere from 1.5 to 4 Mbps.
    Still better than satellite or dialup, LOL.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Sudo,

Just to clarify how us "Colonials" do it:

Fibre = Optical Fiber cable to the Junction Box mounted on the house where it becomes DSL in most cases as most fiber is provided by telephone companies.
    Cable = Coaxial cable (wire) from the cable company (e.g. Time Warner, Cox, ComCast, etc.)
    DSL = Over the telephone wires.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, I have come across where an antenna was roof mounted - once helped a guy who had problems getting the WiFi from one.

They have a similar set up in Saudi with a network of towers for 4G - learned that from someone who was seeking advice as to the best deal because of going out there.

So Fibre and Cable aren't the same, as I thought.

I think it was only Virgin who were doing Cable in the UK but because of the cost to the provider, only certain areas were serviced and there are much cheaper and as effective Broadband options about these days.

Fibre To The Home (FTTH) is a rarity in the UK because of existing telephone cables and the need to fit an additional socket - although some have it.

Was speaking to a guy last year who had some form of FTTH who thought everyone had it and didn't have a clue about ADSL - posh git

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    I understand. Looks as if we'll go with down of 5 and up of 35. Sounds better for us than other option provider offers (15/2). Going with local provider vs. "big guns" because the customer service rep was so helpful and needs oriented!!

Appreciate all your input. It sure helped us cut through all the tech stuff!

Thanks again,

Linda
    So do you do more uploading than downloading - if the two computers are streaming videos at the same time, then you could saturate your download.

To stream live TV from iPlayer in the UK without buffering, a min of 3.7meg is required.