Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Downloaded PDF's just stopped opening up in/or downloading in FF 28

Hi,

Downloaded PDF's just stopped opening up in/or downloading: Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
    The Foxit reader is installed & below are my apps settings:

Happy Holidays,

klx
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Firefox is at V34, so the first thing to do is update. Foxit is now at V7, so check that you have that up to date as well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reply to PDF response.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Firefox is at V34, so the first thing to do is update. Foxit is now at V7, so check that you have that up to date as well.
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. PDF's always worked fine in FF@*: however I just got Foxit update to v7, and I THINK that's whe problems started happening.

As for going to ff 34, Ive heard/read about problems on many FF 30+ versions.

I am checking out FF 33 now and the menu system with related icons seems too kludgy to use. I'll check v 34 to see if it's interface uses the KISS methodology.

cheers,

klx

Thanks
    Try removing the 'Foxit Reader plugin for Mozilla Firefox'.

Here's the Foxit Reader help file (as a PDF) displayed in Firefox 34. Note that I don't have the plugin available but the PDF file is displayed in the background.

foxit.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

When I install Foxit Reader my personal preference is to not use the Plugin so I don't install it. Installed this way FoxIt will open a new non-browser window and display the PDF file. I find I like this much better, again personal opinion, as I have a dual monitor system and have the FoxIt window show up in the right-hand monitor while FireFox is open on the left-hand monitor. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I'm with RetiredGeek on opening downloaded PDF's within Foxit Reader rather than within the browser... you lose too much screen space in the browser.

(But I thought I would show that FF34 can display PDFs within the browser without the Foxit Reader plugin installed.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Try removing the 'Foxit Reader plugin for Mozilla Firefox'.

Here's the Foxit Reader help file (as a PDF) displayed in Firefox 34. Note that I don't have the plugin available but the PDF file is displayed in the background.

foxit.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...
    Hi,

First thing I ran into was that my menu screens differ for what I am shown, here & other websites I googl'd trying to fix this problem. This problem has turned into a matrix with dead ends.

In checking my FF28 add-ons, extensions can be removed but plugins can't at least easily.

I thought the best way to fix this is to remove FF28 completely & start over; however my logins & related password are very important. I can back them up using "saved password mgr. 2.7.3" & save password editor 1.2.1 plugins or MozBackup 1.5.1. or is there a better way?

Before uninstalling FF and from previous experience, I'm supposed to back up certain files [profile?]. I see 3 Mozilla folders under <program Files> looks like the main program files. Also there is a Mozilla folder under user\appdata\Mozilla and several file folders under that folder. Why the 2 place kludgy install?

Will you point me where I can find the right removal process as there is so much going on with my FF 28, which BTW was working fine for years until I updated to Foxit 7?

cheers,

klx

Thanks
    Hmmm.. I'm not sure what to suggest. I installed FF28 into a new Win 7 VM then installed Foxit Reader 7 plus the Foxit Reader plugin for Firefox... and the Foxit Reader plugin still doesn't show up as an 'Action' in Firefox, even after rebooting.
    foxit1.jpg
    Click to enlarge

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

klxdrt (2014-12-19)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just upgraded to FF 34 & am checking out the PDF situation.

Hmmm.. I'm not sure what to suggest. I installed FF28 into a new Win 7 VM then installed Foxit Reader 7 plus the Foxit Reader plugin for Firefox... and the Foxit Reader plugin still doesn't show up as an 'Action' in Firefox, even after rebooting.
    foxit1.jpg
    Click to enlarge
    Hi,

I appreciate your persistence & help. I just upgraded to FF 34 & I'm checking out the PDF situation.

cheers,

klx
    Last edited by klxdrt; 2014-12-19 at 09:03. Reason: correct spelling

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Working with FF34, no refresh Icon.

foxit1.jpg
    Click to enlarge
    Rick,

Now that I have FF34 installed, where is the refresh icon? I have looked all over FF & thru addons to no avail.
    I can't believe they would eliminate, bury or hide that function.

cheers,

klx

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Refresh? I frequently just click at the end of the address and hit Enter, reloads the page. I have FF 34.0 on my MacBook Pro OS X and 34.0.5 on my Windows computers and versions use an Add-in [in Appearance] called Firefox 2, the theme reloaded 1.0.9, puts back a lot of the view of earlier versions.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-12-19 at 11:11.

Thanks
    There's a arrow in a circle at the end of the url window - that's the refresh button. When page is loading it becomes the stop button.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Refresh? I frequently just click at the end of the address and hit Enter, reloads the page. I have FF 34.0 on my MacBook Pro OS X and 34.0.5 on my Windows computers and versions use an Add-in [in Appearance] called Firefox 2, the theme reloaded 1.0.9, puts back a lot of the view of earlier versions.
    Berton,

Thanks for your quick reply. After much googling I found a plugin [Hard Refresh] that allows placing a refresh button on the correct side of the menu bar. And if you [enable text & icons for buttons] you can o put the "back & forward" arrows in their proper place especially for those of us that aren't typists.

cheers & Happy Holidays,

klx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by klxdrt; 2014-12-19 at 13:38.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good, I'll keep that one in mind.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

klxdrt (2014-12-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    clicking the circular arrow is just one click, your way is a click and hitting enter (two click sort of). Don't you have that circular arrow? And can't you see the back/forward buttons to the left?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast